Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

04 endeavor noise drive shaft? please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Default 04 endeavor noise drive shaft? please help

My wife has an 04 endeavor that has been making a load noise when driving. I almost thought it was the tires at first but now i am convinced it is the drive shaft (propeller shaft) I have read issues about this on other forums. The noise coincides with the speed of the vehicle and is there in drive or neutral. I have a few questions though.

IS the propeller shaft the main drive shaft?

THis has been making noise all winter and has not changed, what is worn out and will it affect anything else.

I am very mechanical and my buddy has a garage that i could use his lift. IS this something i could buy and replace myself.

How much is the propeller shaft and where could i get it from?

The thing that really pisses me off is that before the warranty was up i was in mitsubishi and they said it was the tires which it is not. Now the warranty is out and even though there is a TSB on this shaft on the 04 i'm sure i would have to pay for it.

THanks Matt

Old 05-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Default Welcome to the club

Welcome to the club. I have been looking for one for about a week now. tried the junk yard, tried online and nothing, from the dealer it will run you about $780.00 and replacing it you should be able to do it yourself. As far has i was told this will not really be a problem just annoying when you drive. The reason why it cost so much is because you have to replace the section of the shaft even if it only a bearing that is no good. I was mad when i found this out, but nothing i can do about it. The dealer told me that if you are the original owner then your 60k will get extended 10 100k, but if you are not the OO then if you are over your 60k then you are done. You will need to pay. well my car is at 71k and I'm not the original owner so if you find somewhere to get this for a cheaper price let me know.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 PM

now than mate if u complained about the noise before the warranty ran out go complain again explaining that what they did to resolve the problem never did anything, and since u brought it to them before the warranty they have it on record, so in kind gesture they should sort it. if it is a universal joint or bearings it probably will be a replacement prop shaft

Old 05-18-2009, 04:21 PM

you can replace just the support bearings seperately. much cheaper.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:18 AM

I have exactly the same problem, and it began as a minor noise during the warranty period. I thought it was wind noise through my roof racks.
It has gotten worse now, and the warranty is up (04 XLS, 90K, 2nd owner). However it has been like this for well over a year and I am not too worried about it, although would like to fix it.

Manybrews - I was told that the driveshaft/propshaft was only sold as a one piece - do you know for sure that the bearings are sold seperately, and if so do you know the part number and where we could get them since my dealer said they don't carry them?

When I have time I may drop the shaft and take a look. I have gotten shafts welded in the past at a driveline place near me, they may be able to do something

Old 05-21-2009, 06:28 PM

I dont know the numbers, but the bearings are available separately. You need a bit of work to disassemble the whole propshaft, but its cheaper.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:40 PM

Same problem on my 04 Endeavor Limited AWD with 97k miles. I checked with the dealership about the issue and they told me that the driveshaft has already been replaced under the original owner a few years ago! Well the drive shaft humming/whining noise problem is definitely back. I called the dealership that did the original replacement and they told me that it's been too long since they replaced it and that specific fix is not covered anymore even if the same problem has come back.
The noise can get a little annoying at highway speeds, and I'd like to get it fixed, but definitely not willing to shell out $1000+ for it, and EVEN IF I paid to get it fixed, who's to say the problem won't return again in a couple of years!?!?
It really pisses me off how just because I'm not the original owner, the warranty is reduced from 100k to 60k miles, the car is being driven the same # of miles whether I'm the original owner or the 100th owner!
"Well since you couldn't afford to buy the car brand new, we're going to make a special exception for you and reduce your warranty so that you end up paying for all future problems that the car has. Thanks for choosing Mitsubishi!"

Old 04-27-2011, 04:48 PM

we have an '04 Endeavor with the same issue. The first time the drive shaft was replaced was at 41K miles. Now, 50K miles later we have the same issue. Took it back to the dealership that replaced the drive shaft in 2007 and talked to Mitsubishi corporate. Apparently when you replace the drive shaft under warranty it then only has a warranty of 12K miles or 12 months. There obviously is a problem with this part. It is my understanding that a drive shaft should not have to be replaced unless you race or have some kind of accident. My next plan of action is to write a letter to Mitsubishi president in CA. UNLESS the North America Division offers to do something as a "goodwill gesture" Has anyone else complained to corporate? Do you agree the drive shaft on a vehicle should not have to be replaced twice in 7 YEARS

Old 11-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Default Prop shaft noise

I'm having exactly the same issue with my 2004 endeavor. It has 170k on it now but I'm wondering if anyone has just left ignored the noise and had any issues? I assume the bearing will wear out and then...? Will it break apart eventually and cause more damage?

I'm considering taking the shaft off, disassembling the bearing, re-packing it and seeing how long I can go without buying a new shaft at $700-$1000.

I'm also wondering if anyone has tried to replace just the bearing with something aftermarket?

My concern is that if I buy a shaft from the dealer it used that it will eventually have the same problem.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:16 PM

for checking Prop shaft noise best way is to put your car on lift , remove prop shaft and start your car and see if the noise is still there. Buying used parts I am using LKQ used part a national store. They give you warranty for used parts.I bought from them an used engine and I am very happy with my purchase.Be aware of rules of dissembling prop shaft. Is factory balanced.

Quick Reply: 04 endeavor noise drive shaft? please help