Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

Changing front rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Default Changing front rotors

I want to change the front rotors on my '06 Endeavor. I have all of the torque spec's, etc, but the service manual is stating something about grinding the brake disc when installing a new one? And what is the m12 flat washer?
From Service Manual:
• After a new brake disc is installed, always grind the
brake disc with on-the-car type brake lathe. If this step
is not carried out, the brake disc run-out exceeds the
specified value, resulting in judder.

M12 FLAT WASHER
When the on-the-car type lathe is used, first install M12
flat washer on the stud bolt in the brake disc side
according to the figure, and then install the adapter. If
the adapter is installed with M12 flat washer not seated,
the brake disc rotor may be deformed, resulting in inac-
curate grinding.
• Grind the brake disc with all wheel nuts diagonally and
equally tightened to the specified torque 100 N⋅m (74
ft-lb). When all numbers of wheel nuts are not used, or
the tightening torque is excessive or not equal, the
brake disc rotor or drum may be deformed, resulting in
judder.

Can't I just remove the old, put the new on rotor and torque it down to 74 ft-lbs?

Thanks in advance,

Old 04-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

The whole idea is that w/ a new rotor and machining it w/ an on car brake lathe your minimizing any future isses w/ a brake pulsation.

You can just replace the rotor but your probabaly gonna run into the issue of warping the rotors faster then you would w/ machining it w/ an on car lathe. Hope this makes sense.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:38 PM

So based on that it sounds like a dealer only install..or take your chances.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:17 AM

Go to Road Race Motorsports web site there's a video there in how to Install brake pads and Rotors.
The Endeavor I think has the same brake system of the 08-09 Lancer.

It is very easy to install no need to grind. Grinding is weird.

All you need is to Calibrate the Caliper. Torque is not necessary not sure why you need to torque a simple bolts and nuts.

Last edited by FAX68; 04-22-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:00 PM

ABS systems you need to pump the brakes a minimum of 40 times again MINIMUM...And yes torque specs are needed everywhere on a vehicles they are designed for a reason... dsm1990 knows what he is talking about..also Make sure you find out your bleeding process if its cross split or a front rear is what lets you know what wheel area to bleed first.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:06 AM

Here's the Web Site of RRM with video. There is no bleeding required because you don't have an old car and there is no bleeder. The ABS system will do it for you. Click on the brake pads under Lancer the video is there via You Tube.

You just need to calibrate you calipers like the guy on the video explained. It is very easy. even a High school student can do it.

remember to uncap the brake fluid reservoir. So the air will come out when you calibrate your brakes. I don't recommend grinding the rotors it will warp during high speed and it will vibrate your steering wheel very bad especailly when it's wet.

good luck and estimated cost of all pads and rotors is $350.00. The pad and rotors of Endeavor can be both at the dealer. I think Autozone sells them but not so good brands but cheaper than the dealer or performance parts shops.

If you do it yourself you will be proud of yourself. Paint the Calipers too if you want.

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_11&products_id=78

Last edited by FAX68; 04-24-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by FAX68
Here's the Web Site of RRM with video. There is no bleeding required because you don't have an old car and there is no bleeder. The ABS system will do it for you. Click on the brake pads under Lancer the video is there via You Tube.

You just need to calibrate you calipers like the guy on the video explained. It is very easy. even a High school student can do it.

remember to uncap the brake fluid reservoir. So the air will come out when you calibrate your brakes. I don't recommend grinding the rotors it will warp during high speed and it will vibrate your steering wheel very bad especailly when it's wet.

good luck and estimated cost of all pads and rotors is $350.00. The pad and rotors of Endeavor can be both at the dealer. I think Autozone sells them but not so good brands but cheaper than the dealer or performance parts shops.

If you do it yourself you will be proud of yourself. Pain the Calipers too if you want.

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_11&products_id=78
No bleeding neccesary lol.thats why your no mechanic take a class get an ASE cert then give advise on subjects...Because from what you just said can get him killed....Ive heard of self adjusting brakes but that doesnt mean it bleeds the AIR out of the lines.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:22 PM

I did my own front brakes and I am still alive and kicking. Am I? My Lancer as 47,650 miles on it for 2 1/2 years.

Did you watch the Video Sir? Watch it first before you contradict me again.

Call RRM ask them why didn't they bleed the brakes instead they calibrate them.

People from RRM are Master Technician ASE certified I won't even argue with them. they design pretty good parts for Evo/Lancers, Hyundai, etc etc.

There is no bleeder on the Calipers on the newer cars. My 1978 Ford Cortina with double weber SOHC has one on every caliper that needs to be bleed.

Last edited by FAX68; 04-24-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

You both dont have any idea, if he is replacing his pads and rotors he dosent need to bleed any air out of the system.

Applewins, just get a manual and follow the instruction on how to replace the pads and rotors, you'll be fine. A monkey can do a brake job its very easy.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:39 PM

I didn't bleed my brakes on my 1999 Mirage I just put the brake pads and rotors and then I was done. drove it and sold the car. the new owner is still alive and I'm stupid to sold the car because it was damn fast.

Quick Reply: Changing front rotors