Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

Changing the Timing Belt, What else should I change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Default Changing the Timing Belt, What else should I change?

Guys, I'm changing the timing belt in my '05 Endeavor. Also, I'm planning to replace the water pump and serpentine at the same time. Given that I have 110K miles what else should I change?

Note: I don't know if this piece of information will help but here it is: I commute to work and I put 130 miles on it daily...

Thanks, Coqui_Mitsubishi

Old 10-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Default RE: Changing the Timing Belt, What else should I change?

You have to change OIL SEAL. if you force the serpentine belt it might brake the oil seal. be sure you have liquid gasket made by Mitsubishi to seal the oil seal.

change all the seal on the engine. change water pump make sure to buy the serpentine belt at Mitsubishi it doesnt cost much and change all the belt.

buy original Mitsubishi parts your car will last longer and the water pump may cost you 200 buck. give them your VIN number so they will find the EXACT size for your vehicle all of these will cost you less than 500 buck.

or buy the parts at the dealer and let themDO the work as long you buy the parts from their Parts department and bring the receipt. they will use your car parts if you bought them at their parts dept.

to make sure ask them first if they can use the parts that you bought.

you will only pay for the labor and might be 500 buck for the labor. change the oil pan too if you can

GOOD LUCK

Old 10-07-2008, 02:10 PM

I did that with my Mirage and it has 200,000 miles on it until i get rid of it for a 2008 Lancer. they bought my car $2,500 trade in value

Old 10-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

If you never changed a timing belt your best bet would be to have the dealer service it. Also I would do any maint that hasnt been done, trans flush, coolant flush, air/fuel filters and spark plugs.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:54 PM

dont waste time changing the water pump, or any seals.
they never fail, never leak, and all you're doing is wasting money doing so.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:01 PM

You have to change the water pump if it's more than 100,000 miles
Believe it will last another 100,000 miles

if you can spend thousands of dollars for performance partsa 200 dollar water pump is much useful.

I changed water pump on my 1999 Mirage it lasted another 200,000 miles
and traded in for $2,500 wth my new Lancer.

That's why he is changing them probably becauseit is broken.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:10 PM

you most certainly do NOT have to replace it at 100,000 miles.
mine has 228000 on it. If it gives peace of mind, fine. But they dont fail on the endeavors.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:06 PM

Manybrews,
I have followed many of your recommendations, and have read many of your comments on the FORUM. I have confidence in you as a "excellent mechanic".
I do all of my mechanic work and always have, with the exception of machine shop work. I am becoming concerned about my wife's 2004 Endeavor's timing belt @118,000 miles!! (3.8 Ltr. 6 cyl.). I change oil every 5000 miles and use Mobil 1 Synthetic. I always change the oil filter & air filter. I keep a close inspection on her serpintine belt, and all fluid levels. I use mostly 87 octane fuel but she will occasionally use premium to fill up? We live in Alabama where most roads are flat.
I see where you have had luck extending that belt replacement and I am curious about your comments on my situation and worries?

Old 02-25-2012, 08:30 PM

John Paul Russell....did Manybrews answer your post? I hv same endeavor and same questions...gave over 100,000 miles on mine do I need to change water pump & timing belt??

Old 02-25-2012, 08:31 PM

Mean *have* not gave..

Quick Reply: Changing the Timing Belt, What else should I change?