Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

DRL Disable

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Default DRL Disable

Anyone know how to disable the DRL's on the Endeavor? I pulled the fuse that was marked for DRL, but that didn't do it. Most cars have a feature where the DRL's will go off when you apply the park brake, not so with this one. It is rather annoying to be sitting somewhere at idle with the lights on. I hate burning the headlights all the time anyway.

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2006, 01:35 AM
Default RE: DRL Disable

Does the ebrake "icon" light up on the dash display? Maybe the switch is no good. Are you sitting in park or drive with the ebrake on? Some vehicles will leave the lights on as long as the transmission is in gear.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:23 AM

Yeah, the ebrake light comes on, but the DRL's do not go off when the car is running, in park, and ebrake is engaged - all other vehicles I have the drl's shut off when the ebrake is engaged - not the Mitsubishi.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:47 PM

Call your dealer service dept., they should be able to tell you if it can be deactivated. Every other vehicle I've had with DRL they could be deactivated. As a temporary fix you can also try turning on the "parking" or driving lights, on my wifes Buick that will override the headlights(DRL).

Old 07-13-2006, 01:30 PM

I tried to do this also with my endeavor....the dealer told me there is no way to do so..bc of the way its wired to it....he said if they did it would be worht all the hassle to do so.....so i just dealt with it....

Old 07-15-2006, 11:11 AM

i am new to this forum much less owning a suv but i know in the xls model you can turn the drl on and of by using the middle console display that is if you have the digital display and not the analog one. just hold in the display button for a couple of sec and a menu will appear high light drl and you should be able to figure it out through there....like i said i am new so dont hate me right away if i am wrong.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:50 PM

Sorry about resurrecting the dead posts...

On my 07 SE Endeavor I found that if you engage the parking brake and turn the vehicle off, when you turn it back on the Daylight running lamps stay off until you disengage the parking brake.

Its a stupid quirk to just turn off then turn on your vehicle just to turn off the lights.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:25 PM

...and I'm sorry about the old post too but I have to share this with others who yearn to kill the DRLs:

There is a video by 4GEclipseHowTo on yootoob. I followed those instructions exactly and it worked on my '08 Endeavor.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:23 PM

Re: DRL disable

Mitsubishi dealers can easily reprogram the ECU (electronic control unit) to disable daytime running lights, but frequently lie and say it can't be done.

Here is the second way to do it, equally as clean and neat as the above, with the benefit of anyone of little skill being able to do it (for free) in a few minutes right at home. I learned it from a factory trained Mitsubishi mechanic.

Open the hood, and on the right side find the fuse box. Open it's black plastic lid, and you'll see fuses and a bigger rectangular box (may be black or red). This is the ECU, and can easily be removed by pushing in a clip at both ends and pulling up to remove it.

Look at the bottom of the ECU, you see 2 rows of little brass pins that all make contact when this unit is plugged in.

Hold the unit so that the one and only blank spot with no pin is on the right. Simple and easy so far?

Directly opposite that blank pin is the one which runs the daytime running lights circuit.

It is known as "pin 2" because it is the second one down from the top on the left row of pins. To be clear once again, the blank space with no pin is second down from the top on the right side row of pins.

Simply take a small pliers or other gripping tool and bend that top left pin a few times until it breaks off, flush with the plastic base and so can no longer make contact.

You're done! Push the ECU back in place, the lid for the fuse box, and close the hood. There is no downside to this procedure whatsoever, no other functions of the car are affected. I have done our 2010 Endeavor and 2004 Lancer.

I hope without posting pictures the above is clear, but feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Last edited by shhh; 07-12-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:56 AM

Breaking this pin off will indeed do it but I used the "push down the mating pin" method by using two small jeweler's screwdrivers to unlatch the socket and push it down enough to not mate anymore. This worked on my 2008 Endeavor. There is a video that shows this method but I could not find it this morning to link it for ya'll. Anyone know how much these modules cost if a mistake is made or you want to make it original to sell the car?

Last edited by corkynm; 07-13-2014 at 08:59 AM.

Quick Reply: DRL Disable