Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

Electrical System: I am installing a neon underbody kit, where do I get 12v?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Default Electrical System: I am installing a neon underbody kit, where do I get 12v?

Hey all,

I have installed a neon underbody kit. I have a lot of electrical experience, but I dont have the mitsubishi electrical manual. I want to tap into the
headlights system to run the transformers for the neon underbody kit. I have connected it to the regular supply for the right side headlight (this is
an orange with blue stripe wire). I am worried about over-amping the headlight supply though. I cant find a headlight relay where the main relay array
is found, so I am thinking the headlights might be on a solid state relay, (which worries me).

There are two transformers, 1 for the longer side neon rails, 1 for the front and back rails. I have connected each of the transformers +pos together
(each is fused) and then bring this to the right side headlight power (right at the headlight plug). Both transformers take about 5amps combined.

Here is my what happens. Everything works fine when normal lights are on. The headlight and neon is on, no blown fuses. Great.

Turn on high beams and blam! The neon goes off, I hear a high pitched wine and I think my friend and I smelled something funny. Only tried this twice
for about 4 secs. Noticed smell the second time. Not going to try again until I figure out what is going on.

Hypothesis: Too much current draw for headlights. Fuse is fine, but I am burning a solid state relay. I notice there are a few fuses with the headlight icon, I
am thinking the right and left side headlights are on different fuses maybe? (Thus I should connect a transformer to each side to balance.)

Anyone have an endeavor electrical manual?

Also: See my next post about my Endeavor upgrades! This Sexy Utility Vehicle (SUV) is rockin!

C