Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

What Gas octane can I use??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Default What Gas octane can I use??

Hi everyone- I just bought a 2005 Limited AWD Endeavor and LOVE it!! It rides great, looks great etc..I'm wondering though..what kind of gas can I put in it? I live close to NYC so we typically pay those gas prices...Can I put regular gas in it? I don't think I can afford putting Premium gas at today's prices..plus I drive a lot so I tend to fill up the tank often...HELP!! thanks!

Old 05-26-2005, 12:35 PM
pc
Default RE: What Gas octane can I use??

What does your owners manual say?

Old 05-26-2005, 12:45 PM

I don't have it with me..long story..anyway, I was just wondering...maybe i'll call the dealer..i'm sure they'll say you have to use like 1000 octane though....

Old 05-26-2005, 01:51 PM
pc

The dealer should tell you the mfg'rs recommended gasoline grade. You may also be able to go on the Mitsubishi web site. If the manual's lost I think the dealer should get you another since the vehicle is so new. You could also look in a demos glove box for its manual.
Far too many people unnecessarily use too high an octane gas thinking their car runs better or cleaner on it. One of the advantages of these computer/sensor controlled vehicles is they can auto adjust to different qualities of gas in different countries. Only use the grade the mfg'r recommends.

Old 05-26-2005, 02:12 PM

Thank you!

Old 05-26-2005, 07:49 PM

Hi- I talked to the dealer..he said 89 is ok to use, of course 93 octane is better but by no means use 87..hope this helps!

Old 05-27-2005, 01:59 PM

Greetings from Upstate New York! I use Sunoco. They have a 91 octane grade that saves a few cents anyway. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2005, 03:47 PM

Yes, unfortunately the manuals say to use Premium min. 91 octane gas. I have been using 89 and it seems OK. I recently put in a tank of 91 to see how it feels. I would like to hear feedback from people as to whether they can tell a difference in drivablity or gs mileage.

I believe these trucks have a knock sensor, so if the gas is of a lower quality and causes pinging it will retard the timing to eliminate the knock. However, this retarded timing will reduce power and possibly fuel efficiency. So, possibly, by using a lower octane you will not be saving much money because your mpg will drop. Plus you will have reduced power. Another thing to remember is that these computers "learn" your driving habits. So, when you change octanes the computer will take time to get used to the new octane.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:06 PM

I got about 25k on my Endeavor and have used anything from Reg (87) to Prem. (94). It will run fine on 87 if all you do is driver only and no load. But when I tow with it, it needs at least 91 octane or it will ping on acceleration.

BTW: My towing is on flat roads and trailer weight is about 3200 lbs.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:22 PM

I have been using 89 octane for the past 6 months and my baby runs fine and turns 21 mpg city consistently............

Quick Reply: What Gas octane can I use??