Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Evolution (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-evolution-50/)
-   -   03 Evo, just bought yesterday, is this stock? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-evolution-50/03-evo-just-bought-yesterday-stock-28152/)

aprilarchambeau 06-28-2008 04:09 PM

03 Evo, just bought yesterday, is this stock?

Hello everyone, my sister just bought a 2003 Evo yesterday, she just brought it to my house and I am worried about it. I do like like Mitsubishi's, no offense to you or anything. I do not know much about them, I think he paid too much, and I need to know about the internals and stock boost.

This car has 70,000 miles. Paid $13,000. Has a BOV, different intake. Thats all I know. It has a Defi 3 gauge pod in the glove compartment.

Now my question, how many lbs of boost stock should it run? On the Defi boost, when he floors it it beeps and the red light comes on, and it spikes sometimes to 25lbs.

I am not 100% sure but I think it should be around 14.5 or 15.

I can get any pictures if needed, but I know that it should not be running 25lbs of boost. What is the max that it can run on stock motor and turbo, and what should they do from there?

Thanks!
April

EMonz57 06-28-2008 05:05 PM

RE: 03 Evo, just bought yesterday, is this stock?

$13k is an amazing good deal. stock PSI on an 03 is 19PSI and tapers to 17. it can handle 20-21 safley that is all I would do on pump gas. So turn that down first and for most. internals are good to 500-550WHP or a lil more so no worries there your not even close.

aprilarchambeau 06-28-2008 05:26 PM

Alot of miles though, and the paint is not perfect, there is no boost controller so she would have to get one, they have an Sti also, stock except for exhaust, and it would kill that thing. I honestly think it has been dogged, would like to find out other mods, I can take pics of the engine bay if that helps. But it feels really slow

EMonz57 06-28-2008 07:46 PM

please take pics. even with that milage that is a killer deal. I sold mine with 45k for $$25k it was pretty modded though 400+HP. I bet the car feels slow due to the boost being slightly too high thus pulling some timing. There absolutly is a boost controller needed to run that PSI unless the Ecu has been flashed but even so no tuner would run 25PSI on a stock turbo on pump that can flash the Ecu to do so

aprilarchambeau 06-28-2008 09:47 PM

Thats what I was thinking, I am used to Subarus, I have an 03 Wrx with 400+hp. But I thought it was a re flash or something. I will take pictures, and btw, I feel bad for you guys when you change your turbos, it looks like a major PITA. Anywho, I will take pictures tomorrow if I can.

As far as the boost, its different in every gear, she was on the phone with me with her husband while driving today, and he went through the gears for me, it was something like first 18lbs second 20lbs third 25lbs, 4th 22lbs, doesnt make sense.

What do you guys use as far as EM so I can look for it?

The thing that she told me today which sounded weird was, the dealer said now if you find any type of nitrous system on the car dont yell at us. Or something like that, I do not know how the conversation went, and I am sorry, but nitrous is dangerous and stupid. I hope they get it straightened out.

Like I told her, with 70k miles, you dont know the previous owner or how it was driven, might just be dogged out?

EMonz57 06-29-2008 07:25 AM

The car will be fine man dont worry to much about it. they are not suby's these motors can take power and a beating. it is the drive train that you need to stay up on. If the car has a stock clutch in it then it is not to likely the car is that beat even if it is a stock replacment. the bost levels will read slightly different in each gear because 3rd pushs in the hardest loud it will spike a lil higher. The Ecu is stock but could have been flashed. Have her check to see ho many miles to a tank of gas she gets. depending on the #s I can tell you if it is flashed.

BTW turbo upgrades are super easy on this motor. if you work on the 4g63 you will be cursing the suby motors because they are a PITA and the 4g63 i so freaking stupid easy lol.

aprilarchambeau 06-29-2008 10:57 AM

It only took me 20 minutes to have my turbo off. Piece of cake, I could tell ya know that it wouldnt get much mileage. I will have her check afer a few days and see when she fills it up again. And I do not care how much it can hold. 25psi on pump gas and the stock turbo is bad lol

EMonz57 06-29-2008 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: aprilarchambeau

It only took me 20 minutes to have my turbo off. Piece of cake, I could tell ya know that it wouldnt get much mileage. I will have her check afer a few days and see when she fills it up again. And I do not care how much it can hold. 25psi on pump gas and the stock turbo is bad lol
21-22 PSI on pump stock turbo is NOT bad though. that is actually what the 05-06 Evos run stock the 03 and 04s were slower because they ran less boost for no reason other than mitsu having them slightly detuned from the later years.

25PSI on any turbo on pump is bad but 21 is not at all. You are not in the suby world anymore this is a FAR different machine. Trust me when I tell you this stuff. I have been threw my fair share of Evo tech garbage. I had over $10k put into my Evos motor I wouldnt BS you and indanger the life of the motor.

Try doing plugs in a suby in 20mins. the Evo will take you 10mins tops lol the motor is alot easier to work on its the tranny that is a pain in the balls

aprilarchambeau 06-29-2008 09:08 PM

Its not my Evo just in case you were thinking. I completely built my motor, it does not take me long to do the plugs, nothing is in the way. I am going to have my sister take it to Jermaine @Turbo Xs to let him take a look and fix whatever needs to be fixed

Sebba 06-29-2008 10:26 PM

Prepare for an ass raping.

If you take a car into a specialty shop, they are going to find ANYTHING to charge you for.

EMonz57 06-30-2008 07:22 AM

Its not my Evo just in case you were thinking. I completely built my motor, it does not take me long to do the plugs, nothing is in the way. I am going to have my sister take it to Jermaine @Turbo Xs to let him take a look and fix whatever needs to be fixed
dude your not kidding anyone. those motors are a pain in the balls to work on, maybe you dont think so because you havent worked on a I4. take it from me it is MUCH easier compairing the two cars.

Either way why the hell would you bring the car anywhere? seriously it sounds to me you have one problem, that is boost levels, how hard is that to fix?? if you have pulled and built a motor I am confident you can fix a boost issue lol.

Oh FYI too the Defi boost gauges are also known to be pretty inaccurate by 2-3 PSI. If that is the case with the unit in this Evo then that would explain the high level readings. However you cant run over 19-20 with out a MBC at least OR a flash, OR full turbo back exhaust (since exhaust bumps boost levels up too)

Also the Evo has a pretty quick boost cut. It comes on after 21 PSI in cool weather. I used to hit mine all the time before my flash as the boost cut not nessassary untill a little higher boost levels. Most tuners disable it all together

EMonz57 06-30-2008 07:25 AM

Also stock the 03 and 04s have no active 2step the 05-06s do. So you could stop put the car in first and rev the motor. If it revs hhigher than 7k thenit still has no 2 step. A 2step is always added when the Ecu is flashed (if you get better than the basic flash which is pointless for the basic) So check if it has a 2 step as well

aprilarchambeau 06-30-2008 09:31 AM

I honestly hate Evos and will not work on one. It is not a "specialty" shop. He tunes, he will not charge me anything, known him for over 4 years. I want him to take a look at it. What he says goes, I think that car is junk. Def does not seem to have the stock turbo, yet is slower than a stock Sti lol

EMonz57 06-30-2008 05:29 PM

I honestly hate Evos and will not work on one. It is not a "specialty" shop. He tunes, he will not charge me anything, known him for over 4 years. I want him to take a look at it. What he says goes, I think that car is junk. Def does not seem to have the stock turbo, yet is slower than a stock Sti lol
get your head out of your ass. Evos have been showing up suby's in the states since they came here lmao. It is not easy to get an STi past 12s where an Evo can on the stock turbo, hell stock turbo Evos are out there making over 400WHP. Lets not forget all on the stock bottom end where the wonderful STi has ringland issues at those levels.I promise you if that car has an aftermarket turbo and was setup properly it would kill a stock one STi. you do realize the stock STi is higher HP and Tqthan the Stock Evo? 03-04 Evos are the slowest factory Evos out we got stateside they have smaller hotsides on the turbo and run 4PSI less stock. The car isprob slow due to excesive amounts of boost and pulling timing.

Dont come here and talk **** if that is what your trying to do just because you "built your motor" yet you cant seem to tell what a I4 has for mods based on looking at it. I mean come on. the internet is a powerful animal somehow every one has something better right?

I am trying to help you out so leave the **** talking out of here because all it will do is go back and forth for no reason. IMO both cars are great cars well put together. the STi is a better car to cruise, the Evo is a better car to make fast what is the point of having bias opinions based on what you own? to be quick frank I could go on with how much better a supra is over both because that is what I own but who gives a **** really?

aprilarchambeau 06-30-2008 08:15 PM

I am not coming on here to talk crap, if I were, you would know it. I am just stating that I do not like them. I go for reliability. If I wanna go fast, I have my 03/04 Cobra, 10 second car. The Subaru is a beater to drive the baby in. I told my sister not to get the car because she is someone that does not keep cars long and trades them in, it wont hold its value well past the mileage that it has not. I am not sure if Evo's have a td04 style turbo stock, if so, its not a stock turbo. I just don't want her to have a car that was messed with by some 18 year old kid and is going to blow up from running 25psi on pump gas. She would rather have the car stock, and so would I, for what she needs.

EMonz57 06-30-2008 09:36 PM

Td04 or Td05 are stock mitsu turbos. The stock Evo 8 Turbo in the 03 and 04s is a tdo5 (i belive) 16G 9.8T a Td04 if I am not mistaken is the T25 /13G type turbo which are ALOT smaller than the stock 8 turbos. Perhaps you are misreading the last number? Running 25PSI is not good obviously stock turbo or aftermarket. the car will absolutly be fine at 20-21 on pump it is an every day thing so lower it and that will be fine.

If you go for reliability the Evo is no chump. It is however a maintenance WHORE. there are plenty of 100k+ mile Evos with over 400HP on the stock bottom they can take the abuse as long as the owner takes care of the maintenance. They require Frequent tranny and Tcase flushes (every 6k miles) as the Tranny and T case are the weakest link in these car. I can tell you though my old Evo is now right around 500WHP running low 11s and is at the track almost weekly makeing multiple passes each time and it still kicking strong on the stock bottom, Stock Tcase, and Stock Tranny with a exedy twin disc clutch and only internal work at all is head studs and cams. Basically the car will be fine if you treat it the way it needs to be.

Now let me suggest a few things. Have a local Mitsu dealer research if in there records the 60k service was done. If not that car prob NEEDs plugs, def needs a T belt change. and all fluids flushed (esspecially the Drivetrain) at least I recommend it. Purchade a MBC if the car infact does not have one and turn the boost down and it should run perfect. The milage should not scare you on the Evo. I understand mitsu has a history of unreliable cars (esspecailly turbo sprots cars lol) but the Evo they did do right. beside the Tcase and tranny which are fine so long as the fluids get done

aprilarchambeau 06-30-2008 09:55 PM

Only one problem, the dealer got the car 1 day before she bought it, and its 2 hours away. How can she get the records? Any way she can find out previous owner? I was asking about the td04 comparing it to a wrx stock turbo, I know different but should be similar, definitely WAY bigger than a stock turbo, a Subaru's anyway. If I look at the numbers will I be able to see them without anything blocking it? I will try to look tomorrow.

Sebba 07-01-2008 02:47 AM

A) Nobody cares about your STi or Cobra.

B) Please stop being incredibly annoying trying to 1up EMonz57, you can't.

C) You don't know a single thing about EVO's, so when you are given advice and answers, TAKE THEM!

D) The STi motor is similar to a ****ing Beetle motor. They both have pistons and rods and all that good ****. Similar in any way shape or form...........NOPE!

E) The horizontally opposed engine in the STi is weak, and blows donkey balls. Thats El Facto!

Moral of the story is, when asking for free advice, don't bitch, berude, annoying, or any of the above. All of which you were doing FYI.

You don't know everything, infact if you knew much at all you wouldn't be here asking questions ;)

So please, shut up.

EMonz57 07-01-2008 07:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Only one problem, the dealer got the car 1 day before she bought it, and its 2 hours away. How can she get the records? Any way she can find out previous owner? I was asking about the td04 comparing it to a wrx stock turbo, I know different but should be similar, definitely WAY bigger than a stock turbo, a Subaru's anyway. If I look at the numbers will I be able to see them without anything blocking it? I will try to look tomorrow.
The stock Evo turbo is very very large. Much bigger than the STi and WRX. The stock turbo does have 9.8 printed on it or 10.5 depending on the year of the car or is someone upgraded the hotside that is about it that I can remember from mine.

my stock vs 50trim. About the records from the dealer. If the service was done ever at any mitsu dealing in the past it will be on file so you can ask them to pull it up and just look to see. Other wise the only way to find out other owners is prob to run the VIN through a police officer or something (I have done it in the past myself actually)

Attachment 8339
Attachment 8340
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...gineBay007.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...gineBay006.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...gineBay004.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9.../MaVACA006.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...gineBay015.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...rtycar_119.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...rtycar_118.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...rtycar_117.jpg

EMonz57 07-01-2008 07:33 AM

obviously I have no heat shield on the top of the manifold

aprilarchambeau 07-01-2008 09:01 AM

Sebba, shut up, you're an asshole. You sound like one of those annoying 18 year old ricers. You are right, I do not know anything about Evos, and I do not CARE, I am trying to figure out whats done to this car so I can get all of the aftermarket stuff off. So keep talking ****, noone cares, including me. I am glad you could not care less about my Wrx, I don't either, thats why I am selling it. But don't even start to talk **** about my Cobra because we all know nothing is wrong with them, and I am sure it has a few hundred hp more than your car[sm=lol.gif] And EMonz, no, their car doesnt have a heat shield either, looks like the same turbo though. Like I said I will get pics Asap, just hard with a baby. But i will let you know when I get them. She also wanted me to ask you if you knew anything about something around 4krpms where you car will just completely pull back and the gauges and what seems to be the whole car shuts off for s aplit second? Been doing this for almost a whole day now. Only at 3900-4100 rpms??

Sebba 07-01-2008 10:57 AM

Yes, because I'm a ricer based on my post, that makes total sense.

aprilarchambeau 07-01-2008 12:48 PM

I was just saying you try to act all high and on a pedestal, which your not, so shut the hell up, and mind your own business, I think I was being helped fine until you chimed in, so stfu

EMonz57 07-01-2008 03:24 PM

that sounds like boost cut, it feels like a hicup. the car is spiking to high and the ecu is most likely untuned if that is the case. which leads me to belive there is a mbc in the car somewhere. keep in mind hallman makes a in cabin mbc for the evo so it could be mounted somewhere wacky. check the vac lines from the turbo ans wastgate see where / what it runs to. also the bov vac line should run to the vac source directly on the intake manifold with no tee splices.

if the car is not hitting boost cut then it could be a misfire if the plugs are on there last legs but I'm leaning toward boost cut. are there any other gauges, does it have exhaust

aprilarchambeau 07-01-2008 04:44 PM

Yea it has an exhaust, pretty quiet though, it just has the 3 Defis in the glove box. Seems like boost cut to me, I do not think the car is tuned because its def not running like it should be. I think it should be a good bit faster than the stock Sti but not if its untuned. I will try to take the car for a ride to see how it is myself.

EMonz57 07-01-2008 04:54 PM

what are the other gauges? Maybe start there. Maybe your not aware that the stock Evo runs a 9.8 somthing AFR stock. PIG RICH that is why they fuel cut so easy. they have more than enough fuel to handle higher levels (20-21PSI) lol.

Do you know what exhaust is on the car, If it has a cat or turbo back or what ever? If it is boost cut then the car is def not tuned. Let me recommend that be the very first thing to do to this car as well as add a fuel pump, regaurdless if you want it to be stock. The stock Fuel pump is a lil faulty so a walbro 255 is a good mod for a lil more fuel and reliability. A flash well net around 30WHP sometimes more even on a stock car (because the AFR are so rich stock) which also means leaning out the fuel maps, which means MUCH better MPG's. So 2 possitives in one better MPG and 30 or so WHPon top of no more boost cut.

Before the getting a flash we need to make sure you know all the exact mods the car has.

TheAdvocate 07-06-2008 06:31 PM

I wanna see some pictures of this mustang... Im a muscle guy and import guy ;) I enjoy anything fast ;)

After reading all of this, it just sounds like fuel cut and a boost controller set to high!

Really though man, emonz really knows his stuff with evo's and they are extrmely good cars. A picture of the engine bay will help the most though.

gt35tevo9 05-02-2012 04:38 PM

congrats on the buy man