Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

03 Evo, just bought yesterday, is this stock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Default 03 Evo, just bought yesterday, is this stock?

Hello everyone, my sister just bought a 2003 Evo yesterday, she just brought it to my house and I am worried about it. I do like like Mitsubishi's, no offense to you or anything. I do not know much about them, I think he paid too much, and I need to know about the internals and stock boost.

This car has 70,000 miles. Paid $13,000. Has a BOV, different intake. Thats all I know. It has a Defi 3 gauge pod in the glove compartment.

Now my question, how many lbs of boost stock should it run? On the Defi boost, when he floors it it beeps and the red light comes on, and it spikes sometimes to 25lbs.

I am not 100% sure but I think it should be around 14.5 or 15.

I can get any pictures if needed, but I know that it should not be running 25lbs of boost. What is the max that it can run on stock motor and turbo, and what should they do from there?

Thanks!
April

Old 06-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Default RE: 03 Evo, just bought yesterday, is this stock?

$13k is an amazing good deal. stock PSI on an 03 is 19PSI and tapers to 17. it can handle 20-21 safley that is all I would do on pump gas. So turn that down first and for most. internals are good to 500-550WHP or a lil more so no worries there your not even close.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:26 PM

Alot of miles though, and the paint is not perfect, there is no boost controller so she would have to get one, they have an Sti also, stock except for exhaust, and it would kill that thing. I honestly think it has been dogged, would like to find out other mods, I can take pics of the engine bay if that helps. But it feels really slow

Old 06-28-2008, 07:46 PM

please take pics. even with that milage that is a killer deal. I sold mine with 45k for $$25k it was pretty modded though 400+HP. I bet the car feels slow due to the boost being slightly too high thus pulling some timing. There absolutly is a boost controller needed to run that PSI unless the Ecu has been flashed but even so no tuner would run 25PSI on a stock turbo on pump that can flash the Ecu to do so

Old 06-28-2008, 09:47 PM

Thats what I was thinking, I am used to Subarus, I have an 03 Wrx with 400+hp. But I thought it was a re flash or something. I will take pictures, and btw, I feel bad for you guys when you change your turbos, it looks like a major PITA. Anywho, I will take pictures tomorrow if I can.

As far as the boost, its different in every gear, she was on the phone with me with her husband while driving today, and he went through the gears for me, it was something like first 18lbs second 20lbs third 25lbs, 4th 22lbs, doesnt make sense.

What do you guys use as far as EM so I can look for it?

The thing that she told me today which sounded weird was, the dealer said now if you find any type of nitrous system on the car dont yell at us. Or something like that, I do not know how the conversation went, and I am sorry, but nitrous is dangerous and stupid. I hope they get it straightened out.

Like I told her, with 70k miles, you dont know the previous owner or how it was driven, might just be dogged out?

Old 06-29-2008, 07:25 AM

The car will be fine man dont worry to much about it. they are not suby's these motors can take power and a beating. it is the drive train that you need to stay up on. If the car has a stock clutch in it then it is not to likely the car is that beat even if it is a stock replacment. the bost levels will read slightly different in each gear because 3rd pushs in the hardest loud it will spike a lil higher. The Ecu is stock but could have been flashed. Have her check to see ho many miles to a tank of gas she gets. depending on the #s I can tell you if it is flashed.

BTW turbo upgrades are super easy on this motor. if you work on the 4g63 you will be cursing the suby motors because they are a PITA and the 4g63 i so freaking stupid easy lol.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:57 AM

It only took me 20 minutes to have my turbo off. Piece of cake, I could tell ya know that it wouldnt get much mileage. I will have her check afer a few days and see when she fills it up again. And I do not care how much it can hold. 25psi on pump gas and the stock turbo is bad lol

Old 06-29-2008, 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: aprilarchambeau

It only took me 20 minutes to have my turbo off. Piece of cake, I could tell ya know that it wouldnt get much mileage. I will have her check afer a few days and see when she fills it up again. And I do not care how much it can hold. 25psi on pump gas and the stock turbo is bad lol
21-22 PSI on pump stock turbo is NOT bad though. that is actually what the 05-06 Evos run stock the 03 and 04s were slower because they ran less boost for no reason other than mitsu having them slightly detuned from the later years.

25PSI on any turbo on pump is bad but 21 is not at all. You are not in the suby world anymore this is a FAR different machine. Trust me when I tell you this stuff. I have been threw my fair share of Evo tech garbage. I had over $10k put into my Evos motor I wouldnt BS you and indanger the life of the motor.

Try doing plugs in a suby in 20mins. the Evo will take you 10mins tops lol the motor is alot easier to work on its the tranny that is a pain in the *****

Old 06-29-2008, 09:08 PM

Its not my Evo just in case you were thinking. I completely built my motor, it does not take me long to do the plugs, nothing is in the way. I am going to have my sister take it to Jermaine @Turbo Xs to let him take a look and fix whatever needs to be fixed

Old 06-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Banned

Prepare for an *** raping.

If you take a car into a specialty shop, they are going to find ANYTHING to charge you for.

Quick Reply: 03 Evo, just bought yesterday, is this stock?