Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

Advice when looking to purchase an Evo

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Default Advice when looking to purchase an Evo

Well I am in the national guard and after basic and AIT I am looking to purchase an evo. So basically I want to learn now whats the better models and what to look for when purchasing one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...1%7C240%3A1318

This is what I found that I like. The looks are exactly what I want. Like the seats and interior. But just looking for general information or in depth either way. Anything to help. Also I will be customizing it eventually under the hood. So any model that takes that better too.

Thanks.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Default RE: Advice when looking to purchase an Evo

Basically here we go lol

2003-2005 are Evo VIII
all had a brushed alluminum momo steering wheel

2003- only model was the VIII GSR, all were 5spd, all have a open center diff, they came with FMIC sprayer, HIDs standard, sunroof was an option. The turbo runs a 9.8mm hotside and runs stock boost of 19PSI and tapers to 16 after 4500rpms both had black suede recaros with blue centers

2004- only had 2 models the VIIIRS and VIII GSR (ssl and non SSL). The RS is stripped but came with a lighter alluminum roof, And aLSD in thecenter diff,no wing, no power features, some had no A\C (it is the lightest and fastest of this model year) and only offered in white and red. The GSR was never offered with the alluminum roof or LSD, The SSL Package came with the HID, SUnroof, Leather seats and a Subwoofer in the trunk. Non SSL GSR and RS all had Black suede and Blue center recaro seats. The SSL had leather Recaro seats
2005- There were 3 models, the VIII RS, VIII GSR (non SSL and with SSL), and VIII MR. All models no longer offered the FMIC Sprayer, instead they came withActive center Diff control, All models were also alittle faster with the added larger hotside from a 9.8mm on the 03-04 models to a 10.5mm hotside they also were boosted to 20.5PSI stock and held up there. The RS was the same as above except add was Active Center Diff control. The GSR was now changed the non ssl package no longer camestandard with HIDs it was an add on option. The SSL Package came with the HID, SUnroof, Leather seats and a Subwoofer in the trunk. The MR Model offered a 6spd tranny for th first time it also was given the alluminum roof to help offset the weight of the larger tranny. The MR also came with Bilstien suspension compaired to mcphearson (all other models). The MR also came with HIDs and the roof vortex genorator. The MR was only offerd is Graphite Grey, White, Red and instead of 17inch enkei wheels the MR got17inch BBS wheels. The Seats were changed to all black on all models

so out of all the 2003-2005 models the 2005 GSR was prob the best for all around use between track and daily driving.

2006 was the start of the IX

IX came origanally in RS , GSR, and MR. They all had mivec technology which gave them a gain in power as well as a bigger turbo. All still standard with ACD. All were 5spds minus the MR which still had a 6spd. The IX model also introduced the new look with Black housing headlights and taillights and a new Frontbumper. They also had a all black steering wheel. The RS IX is the fastest of all US models some have seen high 12 second passes in stock form. Halfway into the year the IX SE was introduced and added the best of all models into one. It got the alluminum roof, it is a 5spd, it had a lip kit and red stitching on the seats, grey BBS wheels. Otherwise the options are the same as 2005.

-

Now the best car of them all IMO is the IX SE. Reason why is it is essencailly and MR minus the 6spd. The 6spd tranny is weaker than the 5spd tranny. The SE looks the best and comes with the best combo of options. All Evos are great so dont shy away from other models or years. I had a 2003 it was nothing but perfect from 11k when I bought it stock to 45k when I sold it with tons of mods.

Just keep in mind they require LOTS on maintanecne and require it often. The clutches only last about 30k if you like to race. the stock tires only last about 20k same with the stock brake pads. The Tranny and Tranfercase need to beflushed and fluid changed every 6-8k same with spark plugs. The rear diff should be done around every 12k.

When test driving one listen for drivetrain whinning sounds it should make some noise in 1 and 2 but thats about it. notice if the clutch is good and healthy and pay alot of attention fo how well it shifts. Make sure it shifts smooth and goes into the next gear good at redline (since that is where you notice the syncro damage on these cars first). Basically if you get the oppertunity to look at hte car in person just be very very picky about everything and that will set you up to not be dissapointed. Also see if the owner prior has the service records or reciepts. When I sold my car I handed the new owner about $10k in reciepts mostly all parts because the labor and maintanence was done by myself and some friends. Be sure to carfax the car and just for good measure id make sure it has all its VIN tags and they all match.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:17 AM

Thanks alot. That information was perfect. No doubt I will be picky cause this will be my car for a long time.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:17 PM

http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ocentergm5.jpg

Is the plastic piece around the touch screen custom? Or are you able to buy it somewhere. I was just wondering because I love the way it looks but I havent seen the a/c and what not in that low of a position. This is in an evo 8 i believe. Foundthe caron ebay.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:27 PM

yea its not stock, but im sure someone like lancershop.com or something sells those

EDIT to clearify, The 2DIN space is stock where the screen is. The peice where the climate controllers are is aftermarket as that space is normally used as a storage cubby

Old 11-23-2008, 05:28 PM

An that is an IX MR with SE red stitched seats based off of that small pic

Old 11-23-2008, 07:47 PM

Alright. I actually found a kit that looks alot like it. Its an orbital din kit. $295.

But another question of mine are the differences in the IX and X. I mean obviously the body style. Are there any websites that show comparisons? Like HP and what not. I mean I am stuck on the IX but a buddy of mine is interested in the X and I just want to compare them.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:03 PM

The X is heavier. But handles much better thanks to S-YAW control. The X has a new motor. No longer a 4g63 MIVEC. It is changed to an all aluminum 4B11 MIVEC motor which is no where near proven like the 4g63 was.

Personally I wouldnt want an X only because to me they are not a 'real' Evo anymore

Old 11-23-2008, 08:09 PM

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.htmlhere ya go, IX vs X

Old 11-24-2008, 02:27 PM

Alright thanks alot Emonz. You have been a ton of help. I will be sure to post up anymore questions when I get them.

Quick Reply: Advice when looking to purchase an Evo