Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

Almost died

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Default Almost died

What's up, so I got my clutch replaced a few days ago by a local mechanic. The clutch seemed to grip well after I picked up the car. However, later that night after work, there was a loud unusual scratching noise coming from under the hood. The noise only lasted for about 5 minutes and the following day I took it back to the mechanic. He couldn't visually identify anything wrong and the noise was completely gone so we called it good. Today, on the highway, at about 60 mph, all four wheels locked up. Almost died, thank God the cars behind us immediately swerved away from us. So I got the car towed back to the mechanic, and he's gonna look at it tomorrow. Any idea what he's goana see? Got any suggestions?

And it's obvious that it's the T-case.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Default RE: Almost died

Tcase and tranny. did he remember to add fluids lol. Or better yet did he add the right type of fluids? the Tcase is so **** that you can or should only use mitsu diaqueen in it

Old 08-15-2008, 04:15 PM

Yeah he did put in the fluid but I don't think it was the mitsu diaqueen.

I'm extremely disappointed, still say that the Evo is one of the best sport compact cars ever.

And I don't think this happened due to launching or any hard driving. For the most part the car has been taken care of.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:14 PM

no way, this happend due to something from the recent work done to it.. usually people dont have all 4 lock

Old 08-16-2008, 04:00 PM

Yeah thats what I said, cause that noise I heard once I got the car back wasn't normal. It never made the noise againg and I've never heard it before. But then about two/three days later, all four lock up on the highway.

What steps do u think I should take now?

Old 08-16-2008, 06:28 PM

I would take it to mitsu, and let the shop who did the clutch pick up the bill if it is not covered

Old 08-17-2008, 03:44 AM

I got ya, chances are that Mitsu wouldn't cover it under the warranty. I know how strict they are.

But I know it's goanna be a big big big bill.

Thanks for the advice.

I'll keep ya posted on the details.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:48 PM

I'm considering taking it to Mitsubishi, at the same time I wanna give him a shot to fix it.

I stopped at the shop today, just to grab something from the car. He didn't have it ripped apart but after draining the fluid from the tranny, there appeared to be metal shavings in the fluid, so obviously the tranny is screwed, just as you predicted. He said that the trannny could be rebuilt but the transfer case is ok.

Whats the chances of the T-case being ok? I'm not too sure about the T case being just fine.

And these are clip's I found on youtube, this is not my car but the sound is identical. This car had the noise due to the mechanics putting hydralics oil instead of gear oil in the T case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t0juH8_Hew&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4xvs...eature=related

Old 08-21-2008, 08:51 PM
ntx

fixed yet?

Old 08-21-2008, 10:18 PM

oh yea thats a dead t case

Quick Reply: Almost died