Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

Bogging & Tunning

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Default Bogging & Tunning

When I'm on the freeway, all of the sudden at random (when I am not boosting), my car bogs down and seems like its working extremely hard to move (the car starts to shake), then ill let go of the gas for a few seconds and then its better again. Happens about every 2miles (ANNOYING). It still is not tuned and when it does this I can smell rich fuel. I feel like my evo has lost some power as well.

MOD LIST
Greddy Intercooler
Injen Intercooler Pipes
HKS BOV (VENTED GRR)
Injen Intake
Full 3 Inch HKS Hi Power Exhaust (Straight pipe With Downpipe)
Megan Racing Manifold
Turbo Timer
ACT Clutch and B & M Short Shifter

I know I am running rich, when I rev it or pull it you can smell the fuel. I am very close to having the money to dyno tune it, however I will be doing a boost leak test first so I can make sure everything is sealed up good.

For my second question, My goal is to hit 380-400AWHP, what other mods do I need to do this (NO METH PLEASE). I'm In California, so there is only 91 pump gas! I have a EVO IX Fuel Pump that will go in soon and I will be setting the boost at 20PSI when I tune it. What else will be required to hit my goal?

Old 04-05-2009, 09:52 PM

Cams and an FPgreen to hit 400. Meth is vital for more than that unless you want to pay like $12/gallon for like 100 octane race fuel.

You prob have a mix to two things. A boost leak and the then the main issue the HKS ssqv. That bov will make your car run like *** weather it is vented or not. Speaking from personal experience with it on my old Evo.

Please take my advise and purchase a APS duel port BOV. You will thank me later.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:17 PM

Is it ok to vent the APS Duel Port with a tune? Because I really don't want to buy another intake pipe. Its bad enough that the HKS BOV Is Welded. So I gotta get another IC PIPE. Does meth make a huge difference?

Old 04-06-2009, 07:48 AM

you need to recirc your BOV period. It doesnt matter which valve you have. you need to recirc it or you car will not run very well. The duel port recircs 75-80% of the pressure and vents the rest. That is the only BOV that I was able to run with all my mods and have the car run good.

The injen pipeing kit is setup for stock BOV and to be recirced so how come you cant? You can always figure out where the BOV will allighn to the intake and have a flange welded on to attatch the bov dump tube on to. That should be pretty cheap to have done too

Old 04-06-2009, 02:49 PM

I was looking around on the APS website and I did not see any Recirculation Kits (How would I recirculate it? Other BOV have kits). The Injen Intake pipe I have can not, they sell ones that are specifically meant for venting, which would be the one I have...I might take your advice on welding the flange, My uncle welds for a living, I just have to find a good flange size.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:06 PM

Trip to home depot and you have a flange. All you need is a small pipe that is the same diameter as the outlet of the BOV.

The APS doesnt need a kit. It is similar to the Greddy Type S. It has a snout on it that fits a dump tube on it. the oposite site of the snout has a small opening to vent the rest.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by EMonz57
Cams and an FPgreen to hit 400. Meth is vital for more than that unless you want to pay like $12/gallon for like 100 octane race fuel.

You prob have a mix to two things. A boost leak and the then the main issue the HKS ssqv. That bov will make your car run like *** weather it is vented or not. Speaking from personal experience with it on my old Evo.

Please take my advise and purchase a APS duel port BOV. You will thank me later.
DIDDO!!
definitely a probable boost leak or vacuum leak somewhere. it happened to me as well. you wanna get tuned as soon as possible to. the EVO ecu's are good at accepting mods, but you will get more efficiency out of it all with a tune. BTW i have GSC S1 cams and everyother bolt on and making 344awhp 313tq. doing a 2.3 stroker and fr green. should hit about 420+ when im done (based on what ive been seeing).

for 380-400 you definitely would want a walbro or better fuel pump. bigger injectors will help. you dont want to have your injectors running at near or max injector duty cycle. you will definitely need a different turbo. FP green would be perfect. with those things and a tune, you should have no problems hitting your mark. so to recap:
1. fuel pump(walbro 255lph or better)
2. fuel injectors (720cc or better)
3. bigger turbo(at your discretion, but FP green is probably best for your goal)
4. tune