Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Default clutch

hey guys so i was doing some launches yesterday i noticed i grind gears between 4th and 5th and i think it is my clutch.? whatclutch would yousuggest i get because in the near future im going with a turboupgrade and hopefullyget to 500 hp.
thanks

Old 04-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Default RE: clutch

well a turbo upgrade alone is not getting you 500HP. what turbo and other mods are you going to be doing? I would recommend a exedy twin they can handle like 600+ and they are very easy on the drive train.

That said. Im thinking its not your clutch cause the grinding. How many miles are on the car and when was the last fluid change for the T case and tranny? Evo trannys suck and ruin syncros very very easy even at low milage. Plus if your and MR its even worse than a GSR so keep that in mind if you have an MR

Old 04-04-2008, 03:37 PM

well when i get my turbo upgrade i was thinking like a ams 37R kit with intercooler and piping but i would also get fueling and maybe some motor work. However its when i shift from 4th to 5th it grinds a little and i have an evo 8. whatwould your best guess be? i have 34K on it

Old 04-04-2008, 03:41 PM

also i bought the car used with 28K on it and it was the cleanest evo i have ever seen with no mods at all.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:28 PM

I bought an evo 8 with 28k on it no mods at all , but doesn't mean the guy who owned it before you didn't be the crap out of it. The car was never serviced at all. I had the orginal break in fluid in the t case , rear diff and tranny. the thing shifted very bad , speacialy between 1st to 2nd. So Diaqueen multi gear in the tranny and Diaqueen GL-5 gear oil in the t-case and rear diff. about a week later t case quited down and trany shifted so much smoother in all gears , but still 1st to 2nd at high rpm u could hear the syncro's grinding. Then just recently changed tranny again to AMS oil 75w-90 synthetic tranny oil and wow very smooth and no more grinding at high rpm and even smoother shifting. also bg syncro shift works great too. I'm going to use the AMS severe gear 80w-90 synthetic in the t case and diff next time

Old 04-04-2008, 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: EVO4L

well when i get my turbo upgrade i was thinking like a ams 37R kit with intercooler and piping but i would also get fueling and maybe some motor work. However its when i shift from 4th to 5th it grinds a little and i have an evo 8. whatwould your best guess be? i have 34K on it
I think at this point your in over your head to be honest. you cant just slap a 37r on with and FMIC and fuel. the car will blow up in like a week. a 37r is a 700+ HP turbo the stock motor is only good till 530. On top of that your still forgeting about like $5k more in mods youll need to even run a 500HP car. I had over $10k into my motor and I had a 400HP car that is all. to make a 700+ HP car your going to need $15-$20k at the very least. And at that point your tranny and T case and rear end will be hating life. I mean your tranny is already acting up and your on a stock turbo.

your best bet on the grind is to first change the fluid in the tranny and then try it. Just so you know the tranny and the Tcase need to be done like every 6K miles. So even if your car was stock and clean if the 1st owner never changed the t case and tranny fluids then go figure. I mean you can run a motor on the same oil for that long what if he only changed the oil twice? you wouldnt know. Chances are if your getting the grind its your tranny and syncros, Evos have junk drive train that is why you need to do the fluids every 6K miles in the T case and tranny.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:03 PM

ok emonz i know you need a **** ton of mods for 500 hp i just named the big stuff. To be honest i dont know that much about cars so i was just going to take it to ams in chicago and get them 15 grand to go wildwithbut thats not the point i was just wondering what clutch u suggest.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:36 PM

the clutch all depends on your future plans so it is absolutly the point. I say go for an exedy twin. I ran it and like it drove good held the power and it very very popular. they will run you $1500 that the thing

Old 04-06-2008, 01:07 PM

ok so i think i would probly look into an exedy twin but the more people i talk to including you say that it is probly my syncros with the whole grinding. what should i do? I will change my fluid and stuff but do i have any other options? how expensive is that to fix?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:07 PM

change the syncros put the car to stock and if your under 60k miles try to get that warrentied

Quick Reply: clutch