Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

Driving Suggestions for The strip

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Default Driving Suggestions for The strip

So In a couple months the drag strip is gonna be opening up again and Im gonna go opening day, so any suggestion on launch, shift point, tire pressure...etc I dont wanna look like a total *** when I get out there. Hopefully when I go i'll have my tbe, fuel pump and tune by then but if not no big deal. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Default RE: Driving Suggestions for The strip

There are alot of things that go into it. I am a novice myself and I intend on trying to get in as many runs as possible this summer at NED also. A couple of things come to mind, are you running stock wheels w/ stock Advans? I had heard that 22 psi was good on those, I cant confirm that tho. Do you have a launch control ( also called 2 step) set up? If you do, just hold the throttle to the floor and it will build boost as it revs. The comes the tricky part. If you just side step off the clutch, you'll be spending some serious cash on tranny/transfer case and possibly other drive train parts in short order. So, again from what I've been told, you need to get the clutch grabbing and the car rolling and then let off it ( the clutch) totally. This will lessen the shock on the drive train. To me, that is the most difficult part to master.
Again, I am by NO MEANS a expert. I'm just sharing with you the info I got when I asked those very same questions. I believe that practice is the biggest thing.
I usually go to import wars. You get alot more runs than on T&T nights and its all imports and 4 cylinder cars, with a bike class. I'll probably see you there. I'm hoping to get an enclosed car trailer set up with some tools and an air compressor etc. so we can actually try some different tire pressures and have some tools available to work on the cars. Good Luck & SPEED SAFELY

Old 02-22-2007, 11:05 PM

your car is launch limited at 5K revs. so launch at 5K roll off the clutch burn it alittle. if your not tuned then pull the car to like 7000-7600 where ever you feel comfy the rev limiter is at 7600.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:06 PM

Sorry, I thought you were from the New England area. Guess I won't see you there !!!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 12:12 AM

yeah F.O.G unfortunately im not near you, or id be at the track along with you all the time. Yeah everything on the car is stock except for the bov which is a hks ssq and then i got the maf adaptor wiith a injen filter that emonz recommended and I love it. My car only got 3500miles on it so its still a baby. I know alot of guys put the 2step on their cars so they can launch with boost, so is the lauch limiter thats on my car stock similar?? if i hit that limiter and launched it off of it would it be lauching under boost?? Yeah I also got the stock advans on the car, these tires are really nice but I hate them for Chicago and i'll definately have to get some all seasons for next winter. Oh this will be my first time going to the strip with a manual car too. My last car was an auto so there wasnt to much finess involved in the launch or shifting, this is will definately be a totally different experience. As for the shift point I know the only benifit for shifting past 7k would be to get highier up in the next gear but is it worth doing?? Hey F.O.G when you were at the track did you powershift at all??? Would you recommend it??? I personally dont like to power shift but does it make that much of a difference in the run???

Old 02-23-2007, 01:56 AM

FOG couldnt power shift.

Ok you want to run your RPMs up high for 2 reasons to be higher in the next gear and to have to avoidshifting into 5th before the end of the track because 5th is your OD. Your launch limiter might hold a small amount of boost but not sure. Power shifting will make a better time because youll **** it alot faster. put it this way NESpeeds 1G GSX when at the track ran a consistant 13.3 13.2 then with power shifting and not letting up on the gas peddle too the car ran a 12.9. To power shift it just push the shifter oward the next gear when you flooring it the second you hit the clutch the thing will pop into the next gear really hard. it wont pop out of gear even though your pushing it as long as your flooring it.

so example in 1st as your going the entire time pull the sifter toward 2nd gear it wont come out of gear if your flooring it whn you hit the clutch to shift it will pop into 2nd really fast to you really only need to tap the clutch and you can do the same from there. Im not sure I would do this all the time. Maybe the last pass of the day\night you make give it a shot but I will say from doing it there is a huge difference. I shift as fast as I can normally and I cant churp the tires in 2nd but whn I power shift it the tires will squeel

Old 02-23-2007, 02:31 AM

well I think I'll save the powershift run for my last run, I dont wanna beat on the trans that bad, but if im not satisfied with my times I might have to do more runs doing it. Well see, I will post the time slips once i go. Thanks for the explination emonz.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:25 AM

Nope, no power shift for me....I could just barely Granny shift. I was putting alot of power thru a stock tranny. I had plans for a full race tranny this winter, so I didnt want it to come apart on me and cost me more $$$$$. Full race tranny is being done as we speak. I'll let you know how it works.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:52 PM

for starters make sure to know how to stage the vehicle when your actually on the drag strip. alot of new drivers have no clue, and look silly, when their car is all over the place at the starting lane.Being as though your going to be driving the evolution, your forte in achieving a good run, will be the launch. so it must be Perfect. To properly launch an all wheel drive car with out major shock on the transfercase is slipping the clutch a bit. Now the key is. to not slip it to the point where your toasting it, but enough where torque is converted to the wheel in a safe manner. One way to know if you slipped the clutch too much is to smell a very strong burnt clutch smell. It's o.k to smell alittle, but too much, is an improper launch.
This is the way i drove the Evo down the track, mind you i do this for a living, so what i say maybe easier said then done.but with practice. anyone can achieve it.
At the starting line. i hold gas pedal all the way down, till the point where the rev limiter is bouncing (in your case 5k), and also the clutch pedal all the way down.. when the light turns green, holding the gas all the way down, i quickly perform a two step manuever with the clutch pedal to perform the launch. 1) i realease the clutch about half way so the car can roll very minimal, (you wont even notice it) this is so the tranfer case can be introduce to the torque in a not so shocking manner, then 2) i wait a split second, and realease the pedal entirely. This whole process must be done quickly to get the results you want..

As far as shifting goes, i found that power shifting such as a dogbox is not exactly what the tranny likes. The way i shifted was to rev to 8 (in your case i suggest 7.4k)pull on the shifter aiming towards your next gear, step on the clutch, at which point the shifter comes thrusting into the next gear, and realease the throttle very minimal. This process again, must be done very quickly to achieve the best result. I do know the powerband in stock evo will take to about 7k, but try always to go a bit over to stay in the powerband of the next gear, load the next gear to a higher rev, and prevent from going into overdrive, in evos cases 5th gear before the quarter mile is over.

the key to an all wheel drive car is the launch, so to master this you must pay attention to your mile per hour as oppose to your time traveled. if your hit a 13.6 at 110 miles mph, your know you didn't launch well, because all the time was traveled after the launch. in a stock evo, you should be able to run a 13.4 at 101 mph. thats a perfect launch. Pay attention also to your 60 ft. This measures your launch. a 1.920 would be your goal number to get at.

I recomend you do alot of practice. evos are really tricky cars, and fun to drive when it's done correct. What ever happens the first time you go to the track with this new car, is a learning experience. DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED if you dont go well as plan. Dont worry, most people dont get good times till about the 4rth time they go to the track.i tell my students this all the time. Have fun with it. and i wish you the very best of luck. let me know how it goes.
If you have any other question, just let me know

Gus

Old 02-23-2007, 09:09 PM

thanks for the tips

Quick Reply: Driving Suggestions for The strip