Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

Evo mod suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 02:24 AM
Default Evo mod suggestions?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums
I currently have a 1994 Mustang GT, 5.0L V8 5-Speed

However, I'm going to sell that and buy an Evo soon...probably a 2004, 04, or 06...still not sure

I modded my mustang, and know a lot about it...but I don't know much about Evos--I'm new to turbos...and foreign carrs for that matter lol

What setup would you guys recommend? I just want to do some basic things...As far as best bang for the buck parts, like best exhaust, intake, blow off valve, any other things?

Would also like to see some pictures of aftermarket rims!

Thanks in advance

Old 09-02-2006, 03:17 AM
Default RE: Evo mod suggestions?

Well, you're going to get a lot of responses with this question. Here is my 2 cents. First off, open the exhaust to a 3" and get a bigger downpipe. If you're going to go with extreme modifications go with a 3" inch downpipe otherwise go with a 2.75" as it's been shown the smaller downpipe has better gains for mildly modified Evo's. As for intake, I would leave the stock setup unless you're looking for the sound of the BOV and sucking air. The stock intake is perfect the way it is. I personally wanted the sound so I purchased an Injen Intake with the upper IC pipes....it's worth 5 horsepower! As for the BOV, buy a recirculating BOV because the ECU includes the recirculating air in the intake calc from the MAF. If you get a vent to atmosphere you'll have the cool psssssh but your car will have slight problems idling. Then, this biggest thing you can do is get a FLASH.....I got mine from WORKS (www.worksevo.com) and you'll love it. Make sure you get all your other mods in order for the full effect of the ECU FLASH. If you can't afford the flash ($600 - $1200) then purchase an SAFC and learn how to tune. Emonz should be able to help you with this. Also, get a Turbo Timer to cool down the turbo and keep a general idea of your A/F readings. HAVE FUN....

Old 09-02-2006, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the info!
I don't plan on going too crazy with mods, since I'm going to be sending quite a pretty penny on the car itself. I was thinking some rims to make it looks nice and different from the EVOs around here (I get 40% off discount at TownFairTire), and some easy bolt ons to make it sound nice (exhaust, intake, BOV--I do want that PSSHHH sound, I LOVE that!!!)

So based on that, what would you recommend?
Also..are there any deep, throaty exhausts for the evo? I love the sound of my mustang with Flowmaster, but I know I can't expect the same thing from an evo...any sound clips would be greatly appreciated

Old 09-02-2006, 11:11 AM

Megan exhaust full turbo back 3in only $500 on of the cheapest out there that is what I have. Injen IC pipes and Intake. HKS SSQ BOV or JDM MR DV for the BOV, and yes most deffenatly get it reflashed or tuned. dont forget to buy a boost gauge and a boost controller if you would like to controll the boost manually and I got a Wideband o2 so I can tune my car myself rather than mailing in the ECU or dyno tuning it

Old 09-02-2006, 11:29 AM

What website can I purchase the Megan exhaust from?
Any sound clips of the exhaust?

I read that if I just get the Injen intake kit with IC pipes, I won't need to purchase an aftermarket BOV, since it makes the BOV noticably louder, which is what I like
What exactly is "reflashed" and where can I have it done...I live in Connecticut

Old 09-02-2006, 03:29 PM

ORIGINAL: and1bbaii7

I read that if I just get the Injen intake kit with IC pipes, I won't need to purchase an aftermarket BOV, since it makes the BOV noticably louder, which is what I like
What exactly is "reflashed" and where can I have it done...I live in Connecticut
I would wait on purchasing the exhaust. Listen to different sound clips and decide what you like. Also take into account if you're going to be running a high flow cat, test pipe, or stock cat. I will be posting some sound clips of my Magnaflow exhaust in a couple of days although the Megan is pretty nice as well. Yes, if you get the Injen Intake with the IC pipes you won't need an aftermarket BOV....it's not needed anyway if your getting an 06 since the stock boost holds up to 24 psi. Getting "reflashed" is where you take your ECU and send it to a company such as Vishnu, DynoFlash, or WORKS. They calibrate your A/F ratios and turn your boost up so it doesn't taper to redline as happens with stock Evo's. I went with WORKS and am impressed with their flash but to every man his own.

Old 09-02-2006, 03:34 PM

Ohh ok
Typically how long will these cars last?
I read bad reviews saying only around 80K miles---is this true

Old 09-02-2006, 03:39 PM

The 2006 Evo IX comes with a 100,000 mi/10 year warranty. I haven't seen many people with high miles on their Evo but it's kind of difficult to find since they only started selling them in the U.S.A. around 2003. With mild modifications I'm pretty sure they'll last at "least" 150,000 mi. The Evo engine is an engine that has been used in the rally car races and it's had many refinements over the years. In the 2006 model they put magnesium in the piston rings to better prevent oil blow-by.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:51 PM

look in the top of the EVO section I have a thread called EVO videos my EVO has tons of vids with that exhaust. Megan it great its cheap top quality and sounds awsome. (in person it really is better) oh and megan is loud with a tuned car so if you dont want a loud exhaust think twice here but it is only loud when tuned and at full throttle.

My 03 EVO has about 40k on it and only problem I have had was the wing and calipers paint wearing off and the car is going in next thurday for that to be replaced under warrenty

Old 09-02-2006, 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: XTREME

I would wait on purchasing the exhaust. Listen to different sound clips and decide what you like. Also take into account if you're going to be running a high flow cat, test pipe, or stock cat. I will be posting some sound clips of my Magnaflow exhaust in a couple of days although the Megan is pretty nice as well. Yes, if you get the Injen Intake with the IC pipes you won't need an aftermarket BOV....it's not needed anyway if your getting an 06 since the stock boost holds up to 24 psi. Getting "reflashed" is where you take your ECU and send it to a company such as Vishnu, DynoFlash, or WORKS. They calibrate your A/F ratios and turn your boost up so it doesn't taper to redline as happens with stock Evo's. I went with WORKS and am impressed with their flash but to every man his own.
If he gets per 2006 EVo he should buy a BOV right off the bat since they only hold about 17PSI.

Quick Reply: Evo mod suggestions?