Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

EVO myth from LS1 guys?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Default EVO myth from LS1 guys?

Ive heard from several people that if you have a car that is particularly extremely loud, if you rev it up at a pretty high amount of rpm you can cause an EVO to stall or retard its timing because the knock sensor senses the vibrations as detonation. However, I have an extremely hard time beleiving this and think if it were true, Mitsubishi would surely have found out by now and corrected it. Anyone ever have this happen or is this just a myth started by the LS1 guys?

Old 08-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Default RE: EVO myth from LS1 guys?

Its possible actually. Never has happend to me but the sensor is actually that sensitive. For example. If you close the hood by just dropping it and the car is running youll hear the RPMs fall down to the point the car is almost stalling out but other than that I think it get over ridden the second you apply the gas and the sensor sees nno outside chatter other than from the Evo motor itself

Old 08-28-2007, 11:25 PM

and I have also been at the track with very very very lod drag cars prepping t launch and it never has effected my car. So I guess It prob. would never happen however the sensor is sensitive on idle

Old 08-29-2007, 12:18 AM

I don't think they knock sensor is senstive to it's own motor's rev. It doesn't sense the vibration but the frequency of that vibration. Since knock doesn't have the same frequency as a vibration from a revving motor, it should not affect the sensor.
I would say that it is a myth..........unless, that knock sensor is bad. I've had an old knock sensor that did that. It's called phantom knock. With a new sensor, I no longer had knock retard from motor vibrations.
Another thing that causes phantom knock is the knock sensor being over torqued.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:51 AM

The Evo stock knock sensor is very sensitive though. Im sure it is a myth to a point. A rediclouly loud car right next to you at a light with the Evo at idle I bet it is possible. Like I said it i drop my hood shut im not talking slamming it either the car will stumble from the knock sensor.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:27 AM

thats crazy

Old 08-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Banned

Yeah i heard about it too.

Heres the story:

This guy was raving on about how he had a bet with an EVO guy that had about 1k into his car. He was going to race him against his TA with slicks, cam, exhaust etc (price unknown). He was like, "I cait want to smoke that 4 banger bumble bee POS blah blah blah" and talking about it like it will be SO easy. What made me laugh was when other members started saying "ooh you can borrow my 'insert hp boosting part here' for the race...so i thought to myself.... surely if the EVO is that ****ty you will be able to beat him... if so... why panic.. and why the need to borrow other peoples parts? Then the all time retarded point came up "Hey dude, run an open downpipe because it will effect the EVOs knock sensor". GREAT idea... when you cant actually beat something.... CHEAT. Not to mention adding parts after you have already told the person what mods you have is cheating anyway...pathetic.

So thats where i first heard it.

Story continued:

The *** kept on saying how he was going nuts with the excitement and anticipation of the race that was to happen the very next day. Then all of a sudden, he never posted again...even after people asked him in the thread. So i made a post to the effect of what i wrote up there ^^^ and making fun of the guy because he obviously lost and was too embarassed to take the beating for it. Absolute ****ing retarded, redneck, ignorant, narrow minded **** sticks on that site. Well, most of them anyway.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:52 PM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

The Evo stock knock sensor is very sensitive though. Im sure it is a myth to a point. A rediclouly loud car right next to you at a light with the Evo at idle I bet it is possible. Like I said it i drop my hood shut im not talking slamming it either the car will stumble from the knock sensor.
It can't be that sensitive, otherwise EVOs across the world would be going nuts at tracks or some backwoods town, etc.
I can understand your hood creating a ping frequency for a split second after a slam shut but it's still highly impossible except for a leaking sensor and then to have it stumble...that takes a high degree of knock to pull timing back that far at idle. My car idles at 8-12 degrees of timing. If it dropped 5 degrees it would be noticeable, but most of all, 5 degrees of pulled timing is a lot of knock on an idling motor. That would set off my CEL (that's stock setting). There's no reason for the knock sensor to be that sensitive, none. That latch to hook sound isn't even or shouldn't be picked up from the sensor. It's quiet compared to the motors own noises and the motor isloated from the body by motor mounts. Closing the doors or trunk would cause the same stumble if that were true.

Test your knock sensor Mike. Find it and tap it while the car is running. Tap it or the block around it while trying to simulate the frequency of a V8 exhaust note where it's exhaust pipes are pointed at your motor or like those of cars with cutouts...or a Harley. If your car stumbles, get a new sensor or back it off and then retorque.
DSMs with old knock sensors get timing retard more than I'd like to admit, but it happens, but it gets it from the vibration from the motor and the common issues are from a leaking rubber coating on the back of the knock sensor, over torqued, loose, or just bad from constantly bouncing around it's hole. The knock sensor IS a mic but it's freq pickup is limited to that knock ping or pitch. That's all I'm trying to say

Old 08-29-2007, 05:36 PM

Well all Evos do stumble at idle when the hood is dropped shut. it may only be on stock tune because I have yet to try with the new flash. But I actually did search it when I was having it from day one and I found alot of posts already about the same exact problem. that is why at some degree I think it may be kinda possible even though Istill think it is highly unlikly to happen.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:48 PM

I wouldnt even just say EVOs, a friend of mines Laser turbo used to stumble if you dropped the hood.

Quick Reply: EVO myth from LS1 guys?