Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

EVOVIII vs. STi the age old question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Default EVOVIII vs. STi the age old question

I guess it really isn't an age old question and besides that there is another question about the Mitsu Company...

Hey all,
I'm in the market for a new car and the ones that are impressing me right now are the Evo VIII, the STi, and the VW R32 (if i can find one). Obviously i'm looking for something around 30-35k new or last years model that hasn't been sold which is again almost impossible to find with these cars. So i'm just curious if anyone has driven two or more of these cars and what their opinons are.

I would love to hear opinons on:
Any problems people have or have heard of with the cars
Performance/handling, etc.
Is it a good daily driver
How easy is it to work on yourself
Quality of the car, inside and out.
Or anything else that anyone wants to talk about.

Thanks to everyone that replies.

I know this may seem very redudant because people are always asking this question...but i'll also be modifying the car and want to know what is available fo the EvoVIII and how expensive is it? And do you know about the STi..?

VERY IMPORTANT....is Mitsubishi going out of business, and can I plan on actually using the warrenty or will the company be gone before the warrenty is?

Old 01-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Default RE: EVOVIII vs. STi the age old question

Well, this is probably the lames response i have ever had at any forum....you guys won't even back up your Mitsu...weak...thanks everyone for looking but not responding...good day to you [sm=thanx.gif]

Old 01-09-2005, 01:51 AM

well all i can say is that to spend 30 grand on a 14s car is stupid. you can buy a awd talon or eclipse, for between 1,500 to 8,000 depends on 1g or 2g then put about 2,500 into it and run 12s. you would have only spent betwee 4,000 to 10,000. and if you plan on modding the car the warrenty really doesnt matter because you will void it.

Old 01-11-2005, 02:53 AM

I have a 94 evo 3 and it has 130000 kilometers which is about 80000 miles and I am absolutly 100% behind mitsu for not only there reliability and performance of there cars but I think in general if you compare states the sti got nothing to the evo series. I just think the evo's are much classier well they are in sydney. What I am saying is I am fully happy with my car as a mitsu driver. If that helps at all and 96awd got a point if you going to modify warrenty wont be worth the paper its writen on.

Old 01-11-2005, 03:00 AM

I hope that is of any help its really just an opinion for a happy mitsu driver

Old 01-18-2005, 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: lovinthaboost

Well, this is probably the lames response i have ever had at any forum....you guys won't even back up your Mitsu...weak...thanks everyone for looking but not responding...good day to you [sm=thanx.gif]
Harsh...and only one day too. I just picked up my Outlander on 12/23 and this is my first visit to the Lancer forum (the RalliArts have the same engine as me).
MotorTrend tested the Evo vs. the STi with resulting equality. Everything was within a tenth of each other. They said one was more a driver's car and the other was a little more raw for the "experienced" driver. I forget which tho.

As for Mitsu, they wouldn't drop their killer warranty so Dailmer said "you drop it or you're on your own". Guess what. Mitsu won't go under. They may become like Subaru or may even be pulled from the US, or picked up by another maker but still hold the Mitsu name. In any case, they have to make good on all waranties offered by law. Unfortunately, people react to here-say. Gas prices fluctuate on rumors, the stock market will rise or fall on a whim, and Mitsu may take a hit due to plain fear. Too bad people don't see things for what they are.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:25 PM

Mitsubishi worldwide is under new management w/ western influencing. Even here at my store, we're getting alot of incentives to sell new Mitsu's. Why would Mitsubishi's affiliates lend us 5 billion dollars if they thought the company was going under or out of business in America? Just wait until the '06 Eclipse are released here. They truely are awesome. And, AND Cameron is absolutely correct, Mitsu will NOT lower their warranties. Mitsubishi has set the bar with it's warranty and all the other car manufacturing companies will have to just bite the bullet on that one . Form my perspective, alot of Mitsu owners don't even own their car for the full length of the warranty because they trade it in for a newer model, which I hope alot of 3G eclipse owners do! lovinthaboost, you should allow some time for people to respond, some people do work, and alot of people don't just stare at the screen on a forum for a response. Give it some time. ANYWAYS, I truely feel that mitsu, with all it's own breakthroughs in automotive technologies, is about to sky rocket in commercial business.

On another note. The new Eclipse's are gonna be AWESOME. Even the lame Automatic Transmission is gonna be a 5 speed with the Sportronic shifter. Manual Transmission is a six speed. It'll have 261 HP and 260 Torque on a 3.8L V6 MIVEC engine with a 650 Watt Fosgate MP3 Stereo w/ a 10" Subwoofer. And that's stock. It's a beast. Imagine adding turbo, hahaha. I think that it'll only weigh out at around 2700 lbs. That ain't no grocery getter.

Old 02-02-2005, 05:18 AM

evo>sti Always was, always will be.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:08 PM

96awd Date 1/8/2005 11:51:46 PM
well all i can say is that to spend 30 grand on a 14s car is stupid. you can buy a awd talon or eclipse, for between 1,500 to 8,000 depends on 1g or 2g then put about 2,500 into it and run 12s. you would have only spent betwee 4,000 to 10,000. and if you plan on modding the car the warrenty really doesnt matter because you will void it.

WHAT???? first off evos and sti's run low 13's, not 14's, second have you ever thought about the fact that these cars were not meant for drag racing?? not everyone lives their life a quarter mile at a time, you could buy an old *** muscle car for cheaper than an eclipse an murder them too at the drag strip.
anyways, i have test driven both the evo and the sti. i have always loved the evo and never thought i would want an sti over one but after driving both i now do. the sti is crazy fast, has shorter gearing than the evo, noticable difference in power, and overall was just more fun to drive. i also like the way it looks more and the inside is nicer, not to mention its a 6 speed. theres almost no turbo lag, and solid power to redline, while the evo felt like its top end was a little weak, kinda like a stock dsm feels. the evo steering did feel a little more tight, but almost too tight, like it shouldnt ever drive a strait road because it jus wants to head up into the mountains. but thats jus my opinion. every car magazine has compared these cars at least 5 times each, and you need to read up on them and then go test both and decide for yourself because they are so similar it boils down to personal preference.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:09 AM

yes, i agree evo all the way.

Quick Reply: EVOVIII vs. STi the age old question