Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

Which model? ( new guy)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Lex
Default Which model? ( new guy)

Hey guys, been lurking for about 4 months now, just reading what I can, I'm in the market for a IX Evo, but im unsure of what the differences in them are, I know the MR is heavier, but has a 6 speed tranny, and the RS is cheaper, but lighter. Can someone give me a really quick definition of the differences?

IX = Base model? so why is it more pricy then the RS?
RS = cheapest, but lightest, so..fastest?
SE = Lowered end MR, but with a 5 speed instead of a 6?
MR = Heavy, slower, but the best as a daily driver because of the springs and sound system?

Thats what im looking for, i saw a used RS on EvoM with 24k miles and an alpine sound system for 26k, what model should i Choose for a daily driver. Also planning on getting an AMS stage 1 + ecu package once i get it.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Default RE: Which model? ( new guy)

The RS is the one to get if your building a race car otherwise I say dont get an RS. some dont have AC all have crank windows unpainted mirrors and alot less options around but they are 2-4 tenths of a second faster in a drag.. The IX is a regualar GSR model which is basic all power and mid range of the drag times itshigher price because of the added options also the GSR IX is availible in SSL package which is leather recaros HIDs and a trunk mounted 10 inch subwoofer from the factory but it all adds weigth and $$$$.

The SE is the one I would get because it is the best of the MR and GSR. yu dont want a 6 spd in your evo unless you autocross if not dont get a 6 speed. The SE is practiaclly an MR.

MR has a 6spd other options the MR gets are alluminum roof (as does the RS bu not the GSR) bilstien shocks instead of macphearson and a few different color paint jobs thats about it.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:21 AM
Lex

Now just to find a proper SE, I see junk loads of MR's, but not many SE's, Time to call my friend who owners a dealership, maybe he can nab one.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:48 PM

SE are usually special-order evos... there is a very limited amount of them at the dealers... if this is a weekend racer car... (you would only drive the car on the weekends) get the rs.emonz pretty much described it there. if you want a powerful daily driver.. i would probably go with the SE. the mr is not worth it... like emonz said... if youre not gon do autocross dont get it... and the suspension is not worth it... you could get better shocks or suspension upgrade with the money you save...