Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

oil level

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Default oil level

Whats a good level to be at??? I noticed on our oil sticks that it only has two notchs in it but no writing saying high or low so im assuming the first is low and the second is high. So At what point on the stick is a good level??? When is it best to check the level?? On a hot motor or a cooled down engine?? I checked my oil level after driving around a while and it a a little above the first notch.... is that ok??? I know you have to check multiply times because the first reading will always be wrong, but I just wanna make sure im ok or should I buy another quart of oil and put a little more in??

Old 03-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Default RE: oil level

I always aim to be closer to the high point. But I usually do my oil changes every 1500-2k also lol

Old 03-24-2007, 07:19 PM

For best results always keep the oil level on the top notch, to keep the crank shaft fully lubricated. The best time to check the oil is about 30 seconds after the car is shut off, this ensures most of the oil has drained into the dump.

I reccomend always keeping the oil level on the top notch, and check it weekly. Avoid having to much oil because your at risk of hydrolocking the engine.

Turbo cars, like vtec, or variable valve timing cars, are more prone to consume oils, so you need to keep up with maintnence.

Gus

Old 03-24-2007, 07:40 PM

Yeah its werid I just have the oil changed not even 150 miles ago, i had it changed when I did my mods and I havent driven the car extremely hard yet, only when I was having the road tune done, but that wasnt more than I would normally do. I had the car off for a minute then I checked multiple times and it was like a quater inch above the first notch but below half, I know turbo'd cars are known for burning oil but I think thats not the case here, before the new oil change I was driving the car preetty hard and had that oil in for about 1900 miles and didnt burn any oil, so im thinking that maybe thats all the guy put in. I trust the guy to and he had an evo of his own that he had modded up the arsh by him and his shop....well he did it him self at his shop. I think im gonna just get a quart or two of oil and fill it up a little and keep the rest for when i burn or if i burn a bit of oil. Thannks Gus and Emonz I appreiate the help.
Nick

Old 03-24-2007, 07:48 PM

that's good thinking.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:18 AM

ORIGINAL: ComposeEvo

I reccomend always keeping the oil level on the top notch, and check it weekly. Avoid having to much oil because your at risk of hydrolocking the engine.
Do you know what hydrolocking is?? Hydrolocking an engine means you sucked in water through the intake, and since water isn't able to be compressed, the motor gets damaged or blows up. It has nothing to do with oil. If you have enough oil going past the rings to cause that to happen, you might as well throw the motor in the junkyard. Then again thats where most mitsubishiengines are anyway, especially the older 4G63's that crank walk and blow up all the time.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:36 AM
Banned

LOL i love when tools come on here and think they know everything.....

So tell me.. when was the last time you saw an EVO crankwalk?

Old 04-11-2007, 10:41 AM

he is a smart one and knows alot about mitsus if he claims to hate them LMOA what a newb

Old 04-11-2007, 06:16 PM

Why is there always that one jackass that comes to forums just to start crap???

Old 04-11-2007, 06:19 PM

He was trying to tell people to buy Fords, and hes complaining about 4g63s blowing up??? I think TE banned him...

Quick Reply: oil level