Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

Stereo Replaced - no tailights

Old 03-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Default Stereo Replaced - no tailights

My son bought a 92 Evo (JDM) and yesterday we swapped out the factory stereo. Everything seemed to go fairly well once we figured out how to get the dash aprt. Took a bit of trial and error to get the wiring figured out also for speakers, ACC, battery etc. but when we were done the stereo was working.
Couple of questions now though.
1. When he went to start the car he didn't have to have the clutch in to start it. Seems highly unlikely that they should be related and then he starts to wonder if he just always pressed the clutch in before starting it and never noticed? But then I think it would have failed the safety when it was inspected if that was the case previously.
2. Then last night he got a ticket because his taillights were not working. I guess it's possible some wire got disconnected somewhere but it shouldn't have anything to do with the stero connector right? I mean there were a couple of wires left over but again that shouldn't come into play right as they were part of the connection we cut and rewired.
Sort of general questions I know and this being a JDM car it's not like I can get a manual (that I can read) for it.

Any help appreciated.

X

Old 03-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

There might be a plug disconnected for the clutch pedal to allow him to start w/o the clutch pedal depressed. Thats how I have it in my 90 Tsi.

For no brake lights check the brake light switch at the brake pedal.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:45 PM

There were two wires that didn't seem like they were needed and then some other wire with a plug on the end. Kind of like the antenna cable but a smaller version of it.

Upon further inspection it appears the fuse for the taillights was blown and now as soon as the lights are turned on the headlights turn on but you can hear the fuse blow.

I think this may be beyond what I'm looking to troubleshoot and will be taking it to a garage to get some help.

Thanks.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Default Solved

Success! It was that cable which must have been a main gnd wire based on me jumpering that connection to gnd. Tailights and dashlights now working.