Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

Thats MR Evo to you

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Default Thats MR Evo to you

Soon to be owner of a used Evo 9 MR. And I've heard a lot of people tell me which brand of parts to put on this car, and im not really sure, I've head good and bad things about many companies, so im just wondering which few companies should i stick to when i begin the process of modifying and making this a new track king and street monster, im not worried about gas mileage, im worried about high numbers on the dyno, and performance. I'm talking suspension, turbo, intercooler, pistons, rods, and really looking towards getting a stroker kit for this bad boy, and anything and everything inbetween, so which companies and why? I'm thinking about Tein, AMS, and HKS parts but i don't know i need someone who has used these parts for there own evo any information will be very helpful to help me build my car into a serious machine.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:59 AM

Well what type of power do you want. Have you ever driven a powerful car before? Tein suspension is far far from the best it is actually only common because it is cheaper. If you want the best you stay away from tein. HKS is just a name. you pay more to get less. If you want good parts for good prices that will have better results you dont buy HKS anymore, dont get me wrong the quality is amazing but you can get alot more for your money.

Buschur racing, AMS are the kings of these cars. They have just about everything in some form that you could ever want. But again it depends on what purpose you are using this car. Keep in mind the MR 6speed tranny is weak and the T case is also not the best on these cars. I had a Evo with a 50trim turbo kit upgrade and HKS cams. THe car made 370 while I owned it with a bad tune. The new owner made 505 with a good tune and race gas. I can tell you when I had the car I hated it after the turbo upgrade. The car was extremely loud and annoying it was harder to drive. You can watch videos of highly modded Evos and you will never get an idea of how bad they sound till you drive on with alot of mods.

If I were to do it all again I would get GSC cams because they are cheaper and more aggressive for the money. and I would go with an FP series turbo, most likely the FP red which is a turbo that can make mid 500WHPs range and it can use the stock manifold and it doesnt look to much different from stock. The stock motor can handle around 500WHP so keep that in mind too. you dont need a stroker or anything unless you are going with alot of HP.

Stay far away from ebay FMIC's they are bad news

After it is all said and done expect to pay $10-$15k to get your car in the 500-600WHP range and if you want more than that you are flirting with $20-$25k in mods. My first Evo had close to $10k in mods and it only ended up with 370AWHP, granted now there is much more parts available at a cheaper cost it is still going to cost you in that range.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:20 PM

I'm wanting huge horsepower and torque im not to worried about the cost of quality parts for big number's i was hoping to get somewhere around the 700 hp to the wheels range, and even if i may not need the stroker kit i still want it for bragging rights which company would be best to get this stroker kit from? and im not looking just for bolt on's im wanting to get new pistons rods and everything else, and as far as the tranny and transfer case what would you recommend? as far as upgrades to it as well thanks for the help thus far, i'll be sure to keep everyone updated with this build with pictures and video of the car and true dyno and tune specs.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:52 PM

BTW planning on running E85 i've heard of many benefits from it and since im going this extreme with the build i figured why not

Old 06-03-2010, 09:07 PM

700+ WHP Evos are not very street able. Have you driven a car with anything more than 300WHP? So many people say they want big HP but have no clue what it is like to drive a car with 400WHP. Not trying to be a douche bag, just curious.

Buying mods for braggin rights is not the right way to do it. AMS, Buschur, ETS, FP all companies that have the most well known parts. I still say stay away from things like greddy and HKS unless you want to pay more and get less. You will make more power with other parts. and 700AWHP is not exactly easy to do. I used to own a 400HP Evo and have been in a 630AWHP Evo. I can tell you they are not exactly street cars and are not smooth or anything at all. The 630HP car was a 2.3L stroker car with a HP66 turbo and the turbo lag was awful the sound of the car was terrible. It was rough and bumpy. Of course this is my taste and other poeple might like the car to its extremes but that much power is not practicle

If money is not issue then don't run E85. If you want the most power and safest power you are much better off running C16, Q16 or VP or some form of high octane race gas. They will cost alot though. I know 110 light lead in the north east is currently around $9 a gallon because you will not make 700HP without at least E85 or 93+meth. Straight pump gas you will never come close to your goals and real race gas will make it easier to acomplish

Old 06-04-2010, 04:55 AM

i have driven high horsepower cars before (friends 94 supra making around 500 HP and sisters audi rs4) so im fairly confident in my ability to control this car, but thanks for all the input thus far, guess i got carried away with some of the cars around here and wanted to not just beat the gt500's but leave them in the dust, i still have about two weeks till i actually get this car, if this much power on this type of car is so bad, is there a different vehicle that you would recommend? because i do want a car that i can take to the track (roadcourse maybe drag) but also dominate on the streets. anymore input would be appreciated, thanks guys.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:34 AM

Well the Evo can dominate the track and street. AWD is the key. You will have traction on the street were a supra will not. I know personally I have owned an Evo for a long time and now own a TT 6speed supra. 400-500HP will run you very very close to the 10s. I know when I made 370 I ran a 12.3 @ 115MPH and I suck completely at driving. The new owner of my car ran 11.4 at 125 MPH with it spinning all 4 tires off the line makeing 500WHP

Old 06-04-2010, 01:52 PM

well while on the subject how do you like your supra? as much as id love to have one i cant find one anywhere for under 25k, and i rarely find one unmolested by someone else's mods. but perhaps the supra is the way to go i hear people and see people (on youtube anyways) with 1000hp supra's driving them like a daily. But i like both car's i love the 4g63 and the 2jz and respect them both, but i hear the getrag in the supra is a really good transmission? now im thinking about waiting a bit longer and saving up for a supra. but i don't know

Old 06-04-2010, 02:21 PM

You are very very far from real life. When people say street supra 1000HP it is farrrr from being a daily. I know people 'daily' drive 500-700WHP supra in the southern states. These are not cars you can drive every day in and out. if the road is slightly damp you will not be able to drive the car. The Motor in the supra and Tranny is much stronger than the Evo. THe supra stock motor can handle 750HP and some people have made 900HP but not reliable at that level for long. THe stock 6 speed tranny has yet to be maxed out there are drag supras making 1600WHP on the stock tranny.

As far as price range you might not be looking in the right places. I have a number of times put it out there that I would sell my TT 6speed for $23k. My car has 91,xxx miles on it and only has exhaust and an intake for go fast mods. That said I do love the car. Evos and supras are very very VERY different cars and they are built for different reasons. If you want to dominate the highways the supra is the perfect car. If you want to dominate a road course the Evo is a perfect car. If you want a fun weekend car the supra is perfect. It is a blast to just jump in and cruise on a sunny afternoon, as a matter of fact I literally just walked in teh door from taking my car for a ride with the targa off.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:21 AM

Geez both the cars sound absolutely amazing and i get what you mean by the streetable power of both the cars, i guess in the long run im more or less looking for a high hp streetable toy that i can take to the track whenever. if only i had the money for both lol perhaps i'll keep my turd of an eclipse for now and save a bit more for the supra, and perhaps look into something else for a track car, i love the evo and how it looks and the aftermarket but from everything i read i dont wanna keep dumping money into replacement parts for the car, i dont mind buying them once but not over and over. thanks for the input thus far and i'll keep trying to find a car to suit my needs, so much for my evo hype, i guess the sti club is safe for another day or so lol

Quick Reply: Thats MR Evo to you