Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

Tranny help asap

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Default Tranny help asap

Okay I've bleed my clutch and adjusted the linkage under the dash , clutch is catching about half way up on the pedal feels good with no air bubbles. When car is cold and as not been running , I can't up shift to2nd nor can i down shift to 2nd . Once car is totaly warmed up . Say like 10 miles put on it and temp is up the car shifts alittle better into 2nd , but still alittle notchy and some grinding. to me sounds like 2nd gear syncro is shot. This is my 2003 Evo , only 30K on it. , but when i bought it the previous owner never had any of the fluids changed ie tc , rear diff , and tc. I only got one month left on my power train warranty. 5 year / 60,000 mile warranty right. All i got is in an intake installed. I probley will put the stock one back in before i take it down so they can't void my warranty. My question is does this sound like my pressure plate/cutch is shot or the tranny just didn't like not having its fluid changed and caused this.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Tranny help asap

Its sounds like you havea bad syncro, changing fluids wont change much expecially since its only got 30k miles. You dont have to change the fluid in the trans or diff often, its kind of like every 100k miles or so. Abuse probably took out the syncro.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:09 AM

Put your car back to stock and go to mitsu with it and get it rebuilt

Old 11-23-2007, 02:11 PM

Mitsu will rebuild it? not just put in a new one? emonz57

Old 11-23-2007, 02:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Evo2nv

Mitsu will rebuild it? not just put in a new one? emonz57
depends whats wrong and the cost of the 2 im sure. Theyll prob just put in new syncros

Old 11-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: dsm1990gsx

You dont have to change the fluid in the trans or diff often, its kind of like every 100k miles or so.
actually this is incorrect on an evo. I dont know exactly how often to it but its alot more then this with an evo. I think the general rule of thumb is every other oil change to be on the safe side

Old 11-26-2007, 05:17 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

ORIGINAL: dsm1990gsx

You dont have to change the fluid in the trans or diff often, its kind of like every 100k miles or so.
actually this is incorrect on an evo. I dont know exactly how often to it but its alot more then this with an evo. I think the general rule of thumb is every other oil change to be on the safe side
every 6k for the Tcase and tranny and every 12k for the rear end. That goes for most vehilces. 100k you must be on crack that is such a bad idea. yea you can do it but your not doing yourself any favors. think about it it work very much the same as motor oil cept it needs to be even thicker than motor oil, would you leave motor oil in your car for 20k miles lol. you prob can but its not a very wise choise

Old 11-28-2007, 05:23 PM

Okay just got my car back and they say nothing is wrong , evo's around 30k suppose to shift like that . They all shift alittle notchy till they warm up then shift smooth. I call bull**** , but i don't know what else to do. I'm running the standard GL4 mitsu tranny fluid , would changing it to BG Syncro shift II make a big difference ? could be a bad clutch?

Old 11-28-2007, 05:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Evo2nv

Okay just got my car back and they say nothing is wrong , evo's around 30k suppose to shift like that . They all shift alittle notchy till they warm up then shift smooth. I call bull**** , but i don't know what else to do. I'm running the standard GL4 mitsu tranny fluid , would changing it to BG Syncro shift II make a big difference ? could be a bad clutch?
They are all very notchy even when warmed up. My car was 10x smoother though with the BG syncroshift in it

Old 11-28-2007, 07:38 PM

okay thanks. thats def helps alot. Now with the stock clutch over aftermarket. I honestly don't think i'm getting full release on the clutch was i can feel the gears dragging and the syncro's working overtime. I know u suggest the the exedy twin disc , but I honestly don't got that kinda money and done some reasch and clutch master makes a decent clutch . So i'll more then likely for now go with the stage 1 clutch from them. would u go kevlar or stick to an organic disc and sprung hub or non sprug hub?

Quick Reply: Tranny help asap