Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Evolution (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-evolution-50/)
-   -   WORKS P2R FLASH (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-evolution-50/works-p2r-flash-12916/)

TheEngineer 08-30-2006 11:50 AM

RE: WORKS P2R FLASH

Extreme are you saying that the ECU flash is better than tuning it yourself. Cuz i dont see how that would be

XTREME 08-30-2006 01:02 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

Extreme are you saying that the ECU flash is better than tuning it yourself. Cuz i dont see how that would be
The ECU flash is definetily better than tuning it yourself providing the company flashing your ECU is experienced. The companies you send your ECU to have flashed thousands of Evo's which says they probably know the best way to horsepower gains while still providing reliability in the Evo's daily environment with changing weather, elevation...etc. A company that flashes your ECU also has access to more attributes of your ECU than just a home tuner with an SAFC. There are exceptions to this because you can get the XEDE tool by Vishnu which allows you to tune the car and Vishnu just provides the general maps.

Still, tuning it yourself isn't the best option unless you're experienced in that area and know what you're doing.

TheEngineer 08-30-2006 01:14 PM

the problem that i see with flashing is its a one time thing. Now what happens when you decide to add more mods to the car. You would then have to have it retuned again to accomidate. Say you upgrade your fuel pump. With your own tuning if you know how to use it, can simply tune it right then and there. I dont know a heck of alot about the flashing. But it seems to me this would be the downfall.

XTREME 08-30-2006 02:21 PM

the problem that i see with flashing is its a one time thing. Now what happens when you decide to add more mods to the car. You would then have to have it retuned again to accomidate. Say you upgrade your fuel pump. With your own tuning if you know how to use it, can simply tune it right then and there. I dont know a heck of alot about the flashing. But it seems to me this would be the downfall.
Actually, this is another advantage of WORKS over Vishnu/DynoFlash. When you add another modification (ie downpipe, turbo, etc.) to your car you can send the ECU back to WORKS and they will reflash your car to accomodate for the new mod at "NO CHARGE"!!!

TheEngineer 08-30-2006 02:40 PM

well the catch is, it says you have to buy the part from them.

XTREME 08-30-2006 03:00 PM

That's true, you do have to buy the part from them but that isn't a problem. If you look at WORKS's aftermarket parts they're the same price as other companies aftermarket parts. So basically, when you buy the part from WORKS your getting the FLASH included....I would say that's a deal. ;)

EMonz57 08-30-2006 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: XTREME

That's true, you do have to buy the part from them but that isn't a problem. If you look at WORKS's aftermarket parts they're the same price as other companies aftermarket parts. So basically, when you buy the part from WORKS your getting the FLASH included....I would say that's a deal. ;)
that is a deal but it is a pain too.

Your best bet is to flash on bolt on mods then buy an SAFC for fine AFR tuning after that. because I never have to touch my SAFC and I know exactly what AFR I am at so my car is no less reliable than it would be with a flash. I run 11.0-11.4 AFR on pump and on race gas a little more lean if I want to race around. the only disadvantage is I need my MBC since I have no flash and the flash tune the timing as well.

XTREME 08-30-2006 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

Your best bet is to flash on bolt on mods then buy an SAFC for fine AFR tuning after that. because I never have to touch my SAFC and I know exactly what AFR I am at so my car is no less reliable than it would be with a flash. I run 11.0-11.4 AFR on pump and on race gas a little more lean if I want to race around. the only disadvantage is I need my MBC since I have no flash and the flash tune the timing as well.

I completely disagree here but to each man his own.

Professional tuners have quite a bit more experience tuning Evo's and will make much more reliable horsepower than people with an SAFC or other type of piggyback tuning system on their Evo.

EMonz57 08-30-2006 08:35 PM

Professional tuners have quite a bit more experience tuning Evo's and will make much more reliable horsepower than people with an SAFC or other type of piggyback tuning system on their Evo.

that is only true to someone who knows nothing about tuning and\or is tuning without a wideband.... the SAFC and a wideband is idiot proof and my AFRs are 100% safe to run daily in fact they are conservative I could run high 11 AFR with my setup but I dont.

XTREME 08-30-2006 08:47 PM

that is only true to someone who knows nothing about tuning and\or is tuning without a wideband.... the SAFC and a wideband is idiot proof and my AFRs are 100% safe to run daily in fact they are conservative I could run high 11 AFR with my setup but I dont.
Well, I'm not saying your a horrible/excellent tuner but most people owning Evo's probably don't have the experience that Vishnu, DynoFlash, or WORKS has tuning Evo's. Let me ask you this, do you think it's possible for an Evo owner with a SAFC to get as much horsepower as a person getting a mail-in FLASH. I would say no because the people doing the mail-in FLASH have direct access to more options....fuel maps....boost maps....there are over 16 in the new Evo IX.

Oh, real quick while were debating....what do you think of the oil catch cans? When I took my intake off to install my boost hose I noticed oil in the turbo and I was told to get a catch can....what cha think?