Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

WORKS P2R FLASH

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Default WORKS P2R FLASH

To all the Evo owners here the best mod I can recommend is a ECU FLASH and/or tune. Yesterday I installed my WORKS P2R flash with the modified boost hose. Taking the car for a test drive was exhilarating!! I did a 3rd gear pull and my factory boost gauge stays between 1.35 and 1.4 all the way to redline and I find it hard to keep my head out of the headrest!! WOT at low RPM's has also increased and I've noticed off the line I don't have to put my foot down as far as before. On top of all this my gas mileage is supposed to increased 5-8 mpg....more power and less gas!!

Old 08-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: WORKS P2R FLASH

do you still have the stock BOV?

Old 08-23-2006, 12:10 PM

Yes, I still have the stock BOV...why?

Old 08-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

cuz they are known to leak and youll loose that boost thats being held. I forget where it was leaking on emonz evo though, but he had to get an aftermarket bov to hold boost.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:01 PM

Yes, the Evo 9 has a better stock BOV that is supposed to hold up to 24 psi without any trouble. The only thing I'm worried about is the boost fluctuates a little bit. When I did the 3rd gear pull at WOT I noticed the fluctuation was between 1.35 and 1.45 around 4500 rpms which translates to roughly 19.3 psi to 20.7 psi. I don't think this something to worry about but I want to be sure....what do you think?

Old 08-23-2006, 05:47 PM

bump

Old 08-23-2006, 11:44 PM

IX BOV is better than the VIII no worries

And the boost is only doing that because it spikes higher is 3rd gear and up. so if your set for 19PSI it might hit 21.

Mine will go from set at 20 to hitting 22 in higher gears

Old 08-24-2006, 02:41 PM

Emonz, I called WORKS yesterday and told them about my boost flutter problem. They gave me some things to check like, hoses, BOV...etc. I told him I double checked that and he asked me how long I waited before doing a WOT. I told him a couple minutes after the car warmed up. He started LAUGHING and said I was too eager!!!! It takes the ECU 20 - 30 miles to learn what maps to use so last night I drove around and now boost holds steady at 1.4 bars; pulls like crazy....I WANT TO RACE SOMEBODY!!!! It wants to hit 1.5 bars but 91 octane pee gas in California doesn't help. I'm going to try getting some 100 octane at a 76 station.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:36 PM

Hey XTREME could you give me a lil bit more info on, "ECU FLASH and/or tune". I'm just not to farmilar with ecu upgrades. And does it screw with your warrenty?
ORIGINAL: XTREME

To all the Evo owners here the best mod I can recommend is a ECU FLASH and/or tune. Yesterday I installed my WORKS P2R flash with the modified boost hose. Taking the car for a test drive was exhilarating!! I did a 3rd gear pull and my factory boost gauge stays between 1.35 and 1.4 all the way to redline and I find it hard to keep my head out of the headrest!! WOT at low RPM's has also increased and I've noticed off the line I don't have to put my foot down as far as before. On top of all this my gas mileage is supposed to increased 5-8 mpg....more power and less gas!!

Old 08-29-2006, 08:49 PM

Well, there are 3 major vendors that tune Evo's which include DynoFlash, Vishnu, and WORKS. I've done quite a bit of researching on the three vendors and I chose WORKS P2R Flash because they keep reliability in mind and don't require a MBC to raise boost and take away the boost taper. Instead, they give you a stock boost hose with a restrictor pill which allows the ECU to continue controlling boost whereas with DynoFlash for Vishnu they either have a MBC installed or bypass the ECU completely with a passive boost emulator. Vishnu/DynoFlash flashes provide a bit more peak horsepower numbers but I've heard DynoFlash has poor customer service and a reputation of a few Evo's having problems after their flash, and Vishnu is really expensive....you will pay almost $800.00 just for the Mail-In flash and if you want a Flash and Tune you will pay around $1200.00. The WORKS Flash is around $675.00 and the DynoFlash is $500.00 with a FLash and $200.00 for a road tune.

Personally, I think tuning your Evo is a waste of money because it's in a static environment. In the real world the weather is constantly changing and the tune would be worthless day to day. If you see real drag racers you will notice they tune the car everyday because of the weather changes. What I'm saying is don't waste your money on the tune...just get a mail-in flash. I'm for WORKS because they keep reliability in mind...

When your ECU is flashed they optimize the A/F ratios which results in more horsepower. Then they turn up the boost which results in even more horsepower. All of this translates into....you guessed it.....more horsepower at part/WOT throttle.

Quick Reply: WORKS P2R FLASH