Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

2000 Galant with a few issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Default 2000 Galant with a few issues

Hello. I'm borrowing a Galant until I get my own car running again. I figured I'd fix some of these issues if it doesn't take much money. I'm not having such luck searching around on these forums. So here they are.

First, there is occasionally white smoke in the exhaust when I take off. I'm thinking it's probably the valve seals as I've had the same issue on my sportbike which is more work than I'm willing to do, but I thought I'd ask in case there's something simpler to check.

Another thing is the transmission briefly slips shifting from second to third gear like it's momentarily in neutral. It also sometimes clunks going into reverse when it has warmed up. I noticed someone else recently had the reverse issue, but there weren't many responses. Are these common issues? I wouldn't be surprised if the transmission fluid hasn't been changed.

One more thing is the ABS light is on. Someone tried to go through my car today and I locked up at least one wheel, I think more than one. What's the easiest way to pull the codes? Can the parts stores check it? Thanks in advance.