Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

2002 Galant Engine wobbles/vibrations problem.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Default 2002 Galant Engine wobbles/vibrations problem.

Car of subject: 2002 Mitsubishi Galant 2.4L 4Cyl ES 4 Door Sedan
Thanks in advance for reading.
I am sick and tired of the problem with my Galant. Everytime I start the car for the first time of the day, I get some vibrations sounding like the engine is about to shut off. It only happens whenmy car isNOT moving i.e. at STOP signs, parking etc.I dont seem to hear any knocking sounds.It happensduring forward and reverse drive. However, after about 15-20 minutes of driving, it kinda goes away (for a while). So, I think that the problem occurs mostly when the engine is cold.

I've scouted for possible solutions over this forum and hereare a fewtopics I could relate to:

https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_215173/tm.htm
https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_28945/tm.htm
https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_99058/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

I'm not too sure if I have the same problem as him/her but the one of the post suggested to change the 'roll mounts'.
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, advice, or tips on the problem. Please help with this.
Thanks again.

UPDATE: My heater is not working but the A/C is fine (its cold).

Old 07-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Banned
Default RE: 2002 Galant Engine wobbles/vibrations problem.

There are a couple things. One, it could be motor mounts, but it would be much more consistant, not just at start up.

The other thing that could cause shaking, is a mild missfire. Do you havea check engine light on?

It could also be that the timing is a tooth off, that can cause a crap load of shaking.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

You could have intake manifold gaskets leaking creating a vacuum leak and giving you a vibration/rough idle and when it warms up it'll seal and go away. I have seen this on 3.0 dohcsable engines where it'll miss on first start up after a cold soak and when its warmed up its ok. Idk just an idea its hard to diag a car when you cant see/hear/feel it lol.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:06 PM

I bought this car used. Do you guys think I should bring it to a Mitsubishi Dealer to have them check it out?

Old 07-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

How long ago did you buy it used and did you get it from a dealer?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:00 AM

I bought it 2 months ago. From a dealer.
Taking dsm1990gsx's advice, I went ahead and read 'The Everything Car Care book' and discovered another symptom.
I know I did not list this before, but my heateris not working but the A/C is working just fine.That was one of the sign that there may be a vacuum leak. Anyway, I took it to the mechanic this morning tohave it checked outwhile they fixed my alignment.

@Sebba
I don't think there is a check engine light on permanently when I drove, but it DOES come up when my car starts up and quickly disappears. Hence, I didn't think there would be a problem since other lights (such as the battery lights) came on too and went away. Sorry for the late reply; was observing my car lights to make sure it was not the problem.

I'll update you guys with what the mechanics have to say.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:41 PM

Well... I don't think the mechanics were able to diagnose the problem. Instead they suggested I change my coolant because it was dark and grimy. Another thing they suggestI change was the radiator cap; it was sticking. I'm not too sure how's this two problem gonna affect my broken heater or the annoying vibration.

I will try to call mitsubishi to have a look at it. As for now.. bump topic.
Thanks to those who replied.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Well if the coolant is dirty and grimy a flush would help, the heater core could be getting clogged and thats why your not getting heat. It wont fix the vibration problem you have.

I hate to say it but taking it to satan might be your best bet.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by dsm1990gsx
You could have intake manifold gaskets leaking creating a vacuum leak and giving you a vibration/rough idle and when it warms up it'll seal and go away. I have seen this on 3.0 dohcsable engines where it'll miss on first start up after a cold soak and when its warmed up its ok. Idk just an idea its hard to diag a car when you cant see/hear/feel it lol.

I have the same exact problem with my car when
its cold at first start up, the engine vibrates
and runs rough, but once the engine warms up it
the engines stops vibrating and smooths out..
Im gonna change the Intake Manifold Gasket,
I will see what happens..

Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 AM

Your balance shaft belt is broke.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Galant Engine wobbles/vibrations problem.