Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

2004 Air Conditioning - No clutch engagement

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Default 2004 Air Conditioning - No clutch engagement

The clutch will not engage at all. I swapped the relay under the hood and checked the fuse and the fuse was not blown. I checked the Freon pressure with one of those testers that come with the Freon can and it seems substantial. No power in the wire to the clutch. Even put a jumper wire from the clutch to the battery positive and still no clutch engagement. Any help will be greatly appreciated. 2004 Galant 3.8.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:35 PM

consider the high pressure switch on the dryer and the wires to it. when working correctly and wires removed from switch, compressor and condenser fan will stop.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:04 PM

I'll give that a try. I think the condenser fan comes on when I turn on the Max A/C, but still no clutch engagement. It was strange when it happened it was working and I was sitting at idle and then all of a sudden no A/C.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Default air con clutch not engaging

Originally Posted by LILBOY
The clutch will not engage at all. I swapped the relay under the hood and checked the fuse and the fuse was not blown. I checked the Freon pressure with one of those testers that come with the Freon can and it seems substantial. No power in the wire to the clutch. Even put a jumper wire from the clutch to the battery positive and still no clutch engagement. Any help will be greatly appreciated. 2004 Galant 3.8.
hi, if you put a wire straight from the air con clutch straight to + ve battery and it doesnt engage , your magnetic clutch on the compresser is no good.
simple.

mark k