Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

94 Galant Wont Start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Default 94 Galant Wont Start?

I have a 1994 Galant S. It ran perfect up untill yesterday...?
Yesterday morning I went to start my car, and it started, reved up a little bit, then just shut
off. I had very low gas, and I thought I ran it to empty, so I got some gas cans and put
in about 5 gallons. I tried to start it multiple times but still nothing. It does crank though.
I didn't think it was the battery because the lights and radio, etc all worked fine,
but I still tried jumping the car anyways. Still no luck.
Does anyone have any idea what it could be or what I should check for?

Old 03-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Default RE: 94 Galant Wont Start?

I had an issue like this with my 95 galant, you might want to check the distributor. If you buy a manual on your vehicle it will show you how to check this. Also your timing belt could have slipped on start up.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:26 PM

At first I thought It could be my fuel pump, but we pulled the back seats and the pump appears to be working fine. So next I thought it could be my fuel filter, I bought a new one, but when I went to change it the old one still had fuel pressure running threw it when I went to crank the car...
I pulled a plug wire and when I crank the car it gets spark, also the plugs smell like gas so that makes me think the fuel injectors are working alright.
I can't seem to figure out why it won't start. It was running perfectly and everything seems to be working fine. It gets gas and spark?

Old 04-04-2006, 12:39 PM

Hi there,
Does the car start?? And if you accelorate, does it keep going and then when you stop choke and stall??

If so, I had the same problem with mine, on the Air Filter Box, there is a Plug which controls the Air Flow,
if that has come out or is not conecting properly it won't start porperly.

I hope this has been of some help.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

K you checked the fuel filter but didn't actually change it? Change it first even if it doesn't NEED to be it's better to be safe than sorry. Does your fuel pump make a bunch of noise when you turn the key to the on position? It should whir semiquietly for 2 seconds then shut off. If it's excessively loud then it's a problem witht he pump going bad.

Also you can get a fuel pressure guage and on the fuel rail or nearby there should be a nipple (Looks just like a tire valve stem) that you plug into to test the fuelk pressure. See if you're getting pressure. Also if your plugs smell like gas then you MAY have a stuck injector. The plugs shouldn't smell like gas. That means it's flooded. Leave the plugs out and turn the engine over for a second then put them back in and see what happens. If it still doesn't start then pull plugs again and see if any smell like gas. Those will be the injectors to worry about. You also might try adding a fuel system cleaner to the tank see if that helps at all.