Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

'99 Gallant GTZ with 170K miles... oil leak, rough idle, heats up, white smoke...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 12:52 AM
Smile '99 Gallant GTZ with 170K miles... oil leak, rough idle, heats up, white smoke...

I could use some advice. I want to get some work done on the car to keep it good for the next two years. I need the car to last that long to get me through law school. I really hate going in to a mechanic and asking what is wrong, and i just moved to the area anyway. I would really like to be able to go in somewhere and ask, "How much do you charge for a 'such and such' job" on the engine or transmission, so I am hoping I can get some advice here. I ahve the following issues:

1. Engine Oil leaks- it seems like there is a fairly serious oil leak, so I keep putting oil in the engine every few weeks. The car will drive for a while, and then I will start to hear the tap tap taping sound that I think indicates oil is low on the engine.

2. White smoke from the exhaust- not huge billowing clouds, but the exhaust smoke is definitely visible. Seems to build up when sitting at a light or starting up.

3. Louder/rougher sounding when i am in gear, but stopped. When I shift back to neutral, the car quiets down a lot.

4. Engine temperature seems to creep up a bit once in a while.

So- given the miles on the car, anyone want to make some suggestions on what I should have done so it does not die on me? Thank you, I appreciate any advice.