Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Broken V6 timing belt. What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Default Broken V6 timing belt. What should I do?

My 1999 Galant V6 timing belt just broke on me. The car has 137K on it and I did it at 100K. The problem I am facing is, first I love this car and have owned it since 2003, second it is my daily driver and third I am not sure what to do. First off I want to say the car is very clean and I get complemented on it a lot. The only thing that is not working right now is the blend door cable is bad. I can live with it because I can move it by hand because of where it is located. I have someone who wants to give me $600.00 for it. This probably makes the most sense because I can wipe my hands clean of it. No one knows yet if the valves are bent (which they probably are) and what other expenses might occur when the engine is opened up. I noticed that the exhaust manifold was still orange from the heat associated with it. I could put a used engine in it but then I may be in the same boat again. If I had the tools, the know how and the time I would love to fix it myself, but I do not have the three. I thought about putting it online but do not want anyone giving me any grief if there are any other issues. I just put a brand new battery and did all four brakes a few months back. I had it painted a few years ago. It is a great car. I have a folder filled with all service on it too. I really took great care of it and I am finding it very hard to let go of it. I thought I would have had the car longer.

Any ideas would really be appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by 1999GalantES
My 1999 Galant V6 timing belt just broke on me. The car has 137K on it and I did it at 100K. The problem I am facing is, first I love this car and have owned it since 2003, second it is my daily driver and third I am not sure what to do. First off I want to say the car is very clean and I get complemented on it a lot. The only thing that is not working right now is the blend door cable is bad. I can live with it because I can move it by hand because of where it is located. I have someone who wants to give me $600.00 for it. This probably makes the most sense because I can wipe my hands clean of it. No one knows yet if the valves are bent (which they probably are) and what other expenses might occur when the engine is opened up. I noticed that the exhaust manifold was still orange from the heat associated with it. I could put a used engine in it but then I may be in the same boat again. If I had the tools, the know how and the time I would love to fix it myself, but I do not have the three. I thought about putting it online but do not want anyone giving me any grief if there are any other issues. I just put a brand new battery and did all four brakes a few months back. I had it painted a few years ago. It is a great car. I have a folder filled with all service on it too. I really took great care of it and I am finding it very hard to let go of it. I thought I would have had the car longer.

Any ideas would really be appreciated.

Thank you.

You could find a reliable economic mechanic who can fix it.
Or you could sell it just be honest, tell them what happened
to the Timing Belt most likely the Valves are bent im a 100%
sure.