Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Default check engine light

I've got a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant VR-G --- GDI Engine

my check engine light goes one after i start the car engine. It stays on about a minute and goes off again.

Does that mean there's a prob? Or thats the usual procedure?

Old 03-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Banned

Get the code scanned, and then come back with the code.

Are you using the correct grade fuel?

Old 03-31-2009, 12:18 PM

Hello everyone,

I have mitsubishi Galant 4 cylinder 2002. I have about 100000miles on it. Recently I had a problem with engine light. I checked it in Autozone. I have a code like P0421. Is there anybody that can help me.

Thank you for any advice in ahead.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:22 PM
Banned

That is an emissions code. Most likely a rear o2 sensor, or a catalytic converter.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:01 PM

Sebba,

Thanks for your answer. I think I will change the oxygen sensor first. If that will work then I have to change the catalytic converter.

But, I wonder if I can change the catalytic converter by myself or I have to have certain tools that only in the repair shop they usually have? What do you think about it?

See, another problem is, I had timing belt broke while driving the car. Then I paid tons of money to change the top part of the engine. So, it run well. But, very recently light went on. So, I checked it in AutoZone. it came up P0421.

Now, when you turn on the car, and start driving and stop it in driving mode, steering wheel shakes. and when you shift to neutral mode, it shakes little bit less. But, in both case, you can feel that something is definitely wrong. So my question is, Is that possible that this kind of shaking is the result of oxygen sensor failure? or there is something else that causing this damn shaking?

I really appreciate your advice and kindness.
God bless you

Fuad R.

Last edited by fuadram; 04-01-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Po421 is most likely you cat. The shaking sounds like a bad engine/trans mount.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Banned

Don't mention it! : ) It's what we're here for. Next time, just make another thread; it is easier to navigate.

You can do it yourself, it isn't all that hard. You will need a ratchet set, and some penetrating fluid like WD-40. Depending on how much rust there is, you might just need to break off the bolts.

Do NOT buy a catalytic converter from the dealership, unless you like paying $400 for something that would otherwise cost you a fraction of that. Get a generic one. The same goes for the o2 sensor.

The shaking almost certainly sounds like a mount.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:07 PM

before throwing money at the car do these 2 tests...Propane enrichment for the 02 sensor-Most shops dont use it alot now but Its a great test to see the efficiency of the 02 sensor...
Only way to see if the cat is good is to do a cranking c02 test....Do the propane enrichment test first then if the sensor is bad replace but before buying a CAT Do the Cranking c02 test

Old 04-06-2009, 07:03 PM

Sebba, dsm1990gsx and Blck3G,

thank you for your answers. I know that I come up with some weird questions always. Sorry about that. But, I want to know if Propane enrichment and Cranking c02 tests are free and where can I do these test? or can I do it by myself?

Another question is, how can I found out which engine/transmission mount(s) is (are) bad in my car. I checked it by myself. Seemed like that, One in the left is OK. Because, it is to see. But rest 3 of them I could not see really well. So, what do you recommend me to do in order to find it (them) out?

I appreciate all your effort
Have a blessed day

Fuad R.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Have someone in the car and have them shif the car into drive then reverse and so on and so on. As the engine/trans is moving pinpoint the noise.

Quick Reply: check engine light