Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Cruise Control Disengaging

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Default Cruise Control Disengaging

Hello.

I have a 2000 Galant ES. My problem is the cruise control. when i turn on my lights the cruise control disengages.... kindly help.

Thanks,
John

Old 04-16-2010, 10:19 PM

never heard of that before. but i will tell you that the light switches on that year model had some issues. there even was a recall for some of them. check with a mitsubishi dealer and have your 16 digit vin code ready to give them and ask them to check your vin for any active recalls, if it does have any recalls just bring them your vehicle they will do it for free. it is possible if the light switch is defective it might interfere with another system. if there is no recall, i would start with the light switch.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:35 PM

Thanks for great information... i will check my dealer right away....Have a great day.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:44 PM

I had this problem in my '99 Galant. I would press the cruise control button and the light on the dash would come on, but the cruise control wouldn't.

The cruise control is controlled by a single fuse. If it stopped working completely, you could have blown this fuse.

That was the problem with mine. Good luck.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:42 PM

thanks rmconard... the fuse might not be the problem on mine... since the cruise control only disengages when i turn on the lights (headlights, park lights)... if the lights are off the cruise control works perfect....

i am still checking if there is a recall issue on this... regards..

Old 05-03-2010, 11:23 PM

I'm not an expert by any means, but by messing around with my '99 Galant enough I'm pretty sure that the headlights and cruise control are on a completely separate fuse, possibly even a separate relay.

This doesn't make sense at all that one would effect the other.

Like I said, I'm not an expert so don't laugh at my suggestions, but here's a couple things you can try. Sort of like process of elimination to determine where the problem lies:

(1) During the daytime, pull the fuse for the headlights and see if the cruise control still works. If your headlights stop working but the cruise control keeps working, then this means that the two are not on the same fuse. But if they both stop working when you pull the headlight fuse, then that would explain how they would directly effect each other.

(2) If the fuse option doesn't work or you can't isolate the fuse then go ahead and pull the relay for the headlights. The relays are in the fuse box under the hood, not the one on the dash/console. In my galant they look like little black, rectangular boxes. There should be one specifically for the headlights. Pull it out and you'll notice your lights won't turn on. Hop on the road and see if the cruise control still works. If it does, even with the relay pulled go ahead and turn the lights on normally with the switch and see if it kills the cruise control. Technically, even with the relay pulled there's still electrical "activity" happening when you hit the switch all the way up to the point where it can't pass through the relay. So it could still stop the cruise control, if it does then you've just confirmed that it's not the headlights directly, but rather the switch to turn the headlights on.

These are just ideas. I could be completely wrong about everything, but it's worth a try to some extent. The goal is to rule out things that are/are not causing the problem.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:18 AM

Hey Bud...rmconard...

This is great and i really appreciate your inputs.. i will try your stuff and i will get u an update later....

Thanks...

Old 08-04-2010, 09:10 AM

JohnWayne, I am having the exact same problem on my 2007 Eclipse. Can you tell me what you learned? Thanks.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:22 PM

Well, one thing to look for is a vacuume leak. CC is controlled with vaccume. Also keep in mind that the relays for lights anc CC both connect to both the operating computers. I have a 2000 Galant. I helped out a guy a few weeks ago regarding high beams. Very interesting study. Check your relays fuses then have your computers tested.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by rmconard
I had this problem in my '99 Galant. I would press the cruise control button and the light on the dash would come on, but the cruise control wouldn't.

The cruise control is controlled by a single fuse. If it stopped working completely, you could have blown this fuse.

That was the problem with mine. Good luck.

Men, I got same problem on my 2000 Galant ES, the cruise light on the dash comes on but cruise doesn't engages, I wonder what could that be..

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Disengaging