Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Engine Code P0441 2002 Galant Where?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Default Engine Code P0441 2002 Galant Where?

Engine Code P0441 2002 Galant Where?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine light came on today while driving. Mitsubishi Galant 2002 4 cyl. Autozone ran code test and came up with P0441 which gives a choice of 4 possible problems

1. Faulty Gas Cap or loose cap (Faulty fault tank pressure (FTP) sensor)
2. Faulty Purge Solenoid
3. Blocked Canister
4. Faulty Vent Solenoid

Replaced the gas cap- no luck. They suggested that it might be a faulty vent hose. Checked all parts above on system and all are dealer parts. I have found some on ebay so at least I know what they might look like.

Does anyone know where any of these parts are located and how I might locate the vent hose to see if there is a problem? I don't have a parts/service book and not sure if they are listed in one anyway.

Any help would be appreciated. It happened to rain a bunch here while I was driving if anyone thinks that may have an effect also. The Autozone guy said that it is something that I should have looked at because if it was a blocked cannister for example, the problem would affect the gas mileage.

Thanks In Advance
Chuck

Old 05-16-2009, 08:41 PM

Many many years ago I had this happen on an old Chevy Blazer. If you didn't tighten the gas cap well it could take several restarts etc before it will recognize and reset the check engine light. The light doesn't correct itself asap once detected. Just mentioned this to another friend online who does more repair than me. He suggested disconnecting the battery on one side overnight so the computer would reset and re-diagnose any problems.

Last edited by BrokeDad; 05-16-2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: More info
Old 05-17-2009, 09:00 AM

almost assuredly a stuck vent solenoid.
very common.

if you would rather not guess, have a professional look at it.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Default Where is the vent solenoid How do I locate part #

Thanks for the suggestions. If it was the vent solenoid that is the problem on the 2002 Galant 4 cyl- where is it, how can I locate one and get the right part number- is it fairly easy to DIY?
Thanks

Old 05-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Default Vent Solenoid question

Thanks for the suggestions. If it was the vent solenoid that is the problem on the 2002 Galant 4 cyl- where is it, how can I locate one and get the right part number- is it fairly easy to DIY?
Thanks

Originally Posted by Manybrews
almost assuredly a stuck vent solenoid.
very common.

if you would rather not guess, have a professional look at it.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by cahoca
Thanks
you go to your dealer.
and no, its not easy to DIY.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:18 PM

p0441 is the code for improper purge flow. could be the purge valve, usually is. but also could be a hose left off on the evap system, piched hose on the purge side of the evap system, the intake manifold where the purge valve vents into could be carboned up and not venting properly, and on and on......... evap systems are very complex and in this case you should take it to a VERY good shop, or in my opinion the dealer. the dealer has all the equipment to test the entire system properly. and has the parts to fix as well. if nothing else get them to diag it for you and if a part is bad, mabey you could do it yourself. good luck! greg...........

Old 06-01-2009, 05:48 PM

its not going to be the purge valve, as the car would be running rich and very poorly all the time.

the code occurs when a vacuum occurs in the fuel tank any time the system is NOT testing itself.
although that could in fact be a purge solenoid, you would have obvious other issues.
And since the tank vent valves fail frequently in both the open and closed position, thats the best place to start.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:31 PM

hmmmm, lots of ideas out there for you to consider. i have been a mitsubishi tech for 21 years now, and i have replaced purge and vent solenoids for varoius failures on that model of car. one thing i will tell you is the only way that the engine will run bad in a solenoid failure scenario is if the vent valve is stuck shut and the purge valve is stuck open. that means the only way the evap system can vent is through the purge soleniod. that would be EXTREMELY rare. ive never seen it happen, but not to say it isnt possible!! again my advice is to take it to the dealer, there are just too many possibilities to list here. good luck. greg....

Old 06-03-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by jgbrules
hmmmm, lots of ideas out there for you to consider. i have been a mitsubishi tech for 21 years now, and i have replaced purge and vent solenoids for varoius failures on that model of car. one thing i will tell you is the only way that the engine will run bad in a solenoid failure scenario is if the vent valve is stuck shut and the purge valve is stuck open. that means the only way the evap system can vent is through the purge soleniod. that would be EXTREMELY rare. ive never seen it happen, but not to say it isnt possible!! again my advice is to take it to the dealer, there are just too many possibilities to list here. good luck. greg....
ive been a mitsu tech and foreman for 18 years, and the car will run bad anytime the purge is stuck open.. the vent does not have to be in any particular position, as it is going to pull the raw hydrocarbons out of the canister regardless of the vent position.

and as our dealer has now replaced hundreds of failed vent solenoids (either for sticking open and causing a leak, or closed and causing this code), its the logical place to start.

Quick Reply: Engine Code P0441 2002 Galant Where?