Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Engine Swap

Old 08-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Default Engine Swap

Hey Everyone,

I own a 03 galant de with a 4g63 2.4I SOHC engine. I have a 96 3000gt engine at my use to do whatever i want with it. I was wondering since the highest model of the galnt has a v6 in it. if it would be possible to mount the 3000gt motor in this car. no it is not the vr4 model, it is the ff wheel drive non turbo. i have the ecu and the entire car, just the tail end is completely crushed on it.

I need some help.

Thanks

Old 08-09-2007, 04:29 AM
Default RE: Engine Swap

Wait...you have a 2.4L 4G63?
There's no reason to put that N/A motor in your Galant. Bigger isn't always better bud. If you want to put in a V6, put in the Galant VR4's motor. The 6A13TT motor.

How are you going to adapt the RPM speed to match your RPM speed shown on your gauge without more modifications to your electronic system. It will be far from mild modifications and even further from plug and play.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for swaps, but not from an N/A 2.4L 4g64 to a N/A 3.0L 6g72. That 6g72 version is also a large motor being DOHC. You could just buy a Galant with the SOHC version, it's a N/A 3.0L 6g72 too. For the small increase in HP, IMO, it's not worth the effort/time/money. I suggest a swap that will make you more HP and still have room to grow.
Besides that, if the 3kgt motor would fit in an engine bay like ours....yup, my Avenger is based off your chasis design, so is the Eclipse , then can you imagine the number of 6g72TT powered AWD Avengers there would be on the streets?!!...to include your car
MrJD1 can better help you with this car, but I think he's a little busy these days.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:45 AM

silvercoupe97 is dead on with this one. If your car has the 2.4l it isn't the 4G63, it's most likely the 4G64 or 4G69, those are the most common 2.4l engines in galants. The 4G64 engine comes in the 1994-1998 galants, while the 4G69 is a newer 4G6 model, so it's in the 2003-present galant models. I would difinately go with the Galant VR-4 engine, no matter how much work it would be. It would be worth it.
Good luck with your engine swap.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:41 AM

Silver... that motor is... so beautiful... I wonder if it can be rigged into a 3G???

Old 08-09-2007, 05:30 PM

I don't see why not, the 3g and 8g share the same motors and have the same engine bay. The only difference may be that the 3g might have a slightly shorter engine bay. That's just a guess, since the Eclipse has always had a shorter bay than it's cousins.
You would need to take an 8g and do some measurements then measure your 3g to be sure...then it would be all up to time and money...oh and dedication and patients, lol.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:31 AM

Thanks for everyone time on this matter i ahve also heard about a FTO's 6A12 mivec. if i could find one of these engines in the us. would that be a beter plausable swap and yes i have the 4g64. I also have in a junk yard near me a 04 rsx type-s motor with about 3k into the motor with the back end completely wrecked on it but the motor still cranks and works fine. I just want a sleeper because everyone around my city is into muscle cars and i want a little import to dust everyone around here. because no one has even thought about the import scene except for acouple of people buying neons and civics.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:35 AM

And to answer silvercoupe question

" How are you going to adapt the RPM speed to match your RPM speed shown on your gauge without more modifications to your electronic system. It will be far from mild modifications and even further from plug and play. "

I have the gt's entire electronics at my disposile and was going to swap everything out. Even the steering colum. And yes i know this would be a huge swap and take a lot of time and money. But I got about 5-8k to do this with and i only have about 4k invested so far into the car including buy the thing.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:36 AM

Hehe, 'dust everyone'. Sorry... Dusty humor.
Ok, having looked into it a little, it doesnt seem that it would be any harder than the 6g74 conversion. Anyone here got the power specs on that motor?

Old 08-13-2007, 12:38 AM

Also missed this part

titleAndStar(2584,0,55,false,",")

[align=center][/align]

Wait...you have a 2.4L 4G63?
There's no reason to put that N/A motor in your Galant. Bigger isn't always better bud. If you want to put in a V6, put in the Galant VR4's motor. The 6A13TT motor.

I have heard about this motor but can't seem to find it online to buy anywhere. Where can i find it and is it better than the FTO's 6A12 mivec engine. And that is a sexy engine. Is that yours or did you find it online somewhere. Another thing is i saw a 94 3000gt with factory cromed wheels that look really nice any one know where i can find a set.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:48 AM

Not sure what that last post was referencing.. but 276hp sounds good to me. anyone remember what Tearstones S/C setup was putting out on the 6g72? Its prolly around the same... though.. the 6a13tt in a 3G has got that rarity value goin for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Swap