Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

GALANT 01 STALLING,CHECK ENGINE, HESITATING AT STOPS

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 03:41 AM
Default GALANT 01 STALLING,CHECK ENGINE, HESITATING AT STOPS

Alright so my 2001 galant es with 50,000 miles started acting funny a couple of months ago it only did it when i first turned it on, and hit the gas it would hesitate for a moment and then would be fine.

Well i kept on ignoring the problem then about 1 month after it started hesitating i did it at stop signs and lights. at this time i was getting scared and thought i could be the transmission.

The way u new it wasnt the transmission was becuase it did it when i was in park and also neatul if i reved the engine.

well it kept getting worse and about a month and 1/2 ago i was at a stop light, on a hot day with my AC on and when i hit the gas to take off the car stalled and almost turned off i hitt the gas to try and get it going and the check engine light came on. well i replaced spark plugs and the helped for about 1 week it ran fine with no symptoms then it came back the same way and the check engine light turned on again so i just didnt drive it for a couple of weeks.

when my car was ideling and you turn the ac on it will lower the RPMs and kill your car
i was suspecting that for some reason the gas was not burning

so i finally took it in to the Mitsubishi dealer so they could hook it up to the diagnostic equipment for the check engine light. it cost $87.90 just to hook it up.

what they told me was that my car had a multi piston misfire and that it needed to get new sparkplugs,wires, and also boot, and a fuel system cleaning well that was going to cost $590.00

so i decided to pass on that they were new plugs so i just left those in there cuase dealerships just try to sell you a bunch of ****. and i didnt get the fuel system cleaning.

Went to advanced auto parts and just got some new wires the wires for cylinders 1 & 3 were $45 and the wires for 2 and 4 were $64 put them in myself very easely and my car has been running like a champ since then its only been about 3 weeks but wow im even saving on gas.

well the reason im posting this is because i tried finding info on this proble but couldnt so i had to take it into the dealership just hoping to save some people money.

if any one has any questions email me at fredij2004@hotmail.com ill be happy to answer some questions.

Old 10-04-2005, 07:49 AM
Default RE: GALANT 01 STALLING,CHECK ENGINE, HESITATING AT STOPS

No offense meant, but you notice the problem long time ago- drive the car until near death, try and fix it yourself and fail, take it to the dealership and get a CORRECT DIAGNOSIS- then turn around and talk about how they try to "sell you ****"?? WTF is THAT all about? You think you've saved money but never thought to consider how much wasted fuel you threw away driving around in that condition not to mention how dangerous it is for you and those driving around you. Stop taking your ride for granted.

Joel, Ca
Diamond Star DEALERSHIP Technician

Old 10-04-2005, 12:07 PM

must be a 2.4 engine huh???

Old 10-05-2005, 07:29 PM

I had a similar issue replaced plugs and wires it was the only part i did not replace ignition coil. cost me 240 for them to fix.

Old 12-15-2005, 08:33 PM

idle motor.....................i don't know how many times i am going to answer this question

Old 12-15-2005, 10:48 PM

Well stop or answer the question correctly......

Old 12-15-2005, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

First off I agree with Joel you SHOULD have listened to the dealership in the first place. Second you should have kept up on regular maintenance. Cleaning the fuel system (New fuel filter?) will also help with things. So if the dealer was right then how were they trying to "sell you a bunch of ****". As for the idle air control motor... It OBVIOUSLY wasn't the problem BUT prophet the forum is not here for you to demean and belittle people. This is NOT the first thread I've seen you do this in and it is DEFINATELY not called for.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:40 AM

oooh excuse me..... maybe a pm about my attitude should have been called for because I don't recall any deeming threads or posts. If there was a problem maybe you should have addressed it politley instead of calling me out in public about it but that is okay... I think I am done with this forum....

I apologized for the misunderstanding. That I read it wrong and viewed it to fast but you now think I am belittling someone. lol you need to learn how to mod and be a more tactful.

Thank you for the help Patrick. I tried but this board is not the same and good luck in the future. I think it is time I make a Mitsubishi Forum now....

Old 12-16-2005, 07:31 PM

easy little one (prophet) the exact term for the problem is IDLE AIR CONTROL MOTOR. Now no has belitteled anyone here, someone is just misunderstood. Hopefully PROPHET is a triple diamond cirtified mechanic and has repaired more than 200 of these issues in the past. If not then he is misunderstood.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Default Mitsubishi Galant Stalling

My gdi engine started stuttering. I changed the plugs, oxygen sensor and serviced the injectors and still no results. I finally changed the idle control which is situated in the trottle body and then the car worked normal. I am still left with the rough idling which no one seems to diagnose