Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

keyless remote question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Default keyless remote question

any 1 have to buy a keyless remote for your car? i picked up my galant in september but didnt get a remote and didnt care at the time. not i wish i would have payed the extra for one.the dealer told me just a remote would run me $115 and another $50 to program it to my car. i've seen remotes on ebay selling for less than $40 and some promise a programed remote. i've also consideredan aftermarket alarm/keyless system installed. price would be about the same (if i get a remote from my dealer) and i could get remote start for less than a hundred more. only thing is the factory system will still be active after another alarm is installed. what do you think......?

Old 02-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Banned
Default RE: keyless remote question

Get it done by the dealer. That way they do it right.. and if they screw it up they can fix it themselves. If you mess up... its on you.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:30 PM

if i get an aftermarket system i'm gonna get it installed proffesionaly. and only if an instal warrenty is offered so any problems get fixed. id like to just get a remote and be done with it but what if theres a problem with the factory alarm/keyless system i'll have to pay for someone to check that out.

also everyone tells me that if your trunk release within your car is a button your remote should have a button to release it and if the trunk release on your car is cable actuated then the remote for your car will not have the trunk option. well that said my gtz has a cable to open the trunk from inside the car but no keyhole on the trunklid itself (no keyhole onthe passenger door either). i have to assume the remote must have a trunk releas button right?

Old 02-02-2007, 10:19 AM

I apologize for my interruption, but reading this thread made me curious... Is remote keyless entry standard on all '99-'03 Galants? I bought my '00 galant used last month and it didn't come with a remote entry control, so I assumed my car simply didn't have a remote entry system. But reading your thread made me suspect otherwise.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:54 PM

its hard to say. most newer carshave keyless entry. i'd ask a bishi dealer.. givem the vinand see what he says. i think i've decided to go with an aftermarket alarm/start system that way i know it'll work after i shell out the cash. the dealer wants too dam much!

Old 03-06-2007, 03:32 PM

ORIGINAL: trident

I apologize for my interruption, but reading this thread made me curious... Is remote keyless entry standard on all '99-'03 Galants? I bought my '00 galant used last month and it didn't come with a remote entry control, so I assumed my car simply didn't have a remote entry system. But reading your thread made me suspect otherwise.
my 01 - ES V6 come w/ the remote.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:59 PM

Yes, those keyfobs on ebay are fine and yes, you can program the remote without messing anything up at all.
It's all a matter of jumping two wires on an unused molex plug and holding the button on the keyfob down.
There's not much to screw up programming a new remote, it's really simple.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:15 PM

I have trouble with programming the remote. I got instructions from the web, and here's what I did:

I checked that my lock switch worked. It did.
I inserted the car key and left it in the lock/off position.
Since I don't have an OBD-II scan tool, I used a paper clip to connect pin1 and pin4, which is supposed to ground pin 1.
I turned the key to ACC position, and turned it back to lock/off position.
According to all the programming instructions that I got from the web, the lock was supposed to lock and unlock itself at this point, signalling that it was ready for programming.Unfortunatelly, nothing happened at all. I repeated the above steps a few times but still got no luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:32 AM

I saw things on ebay that costs less than 20 and they will give you the instruction for the programming.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:43 PM

Not sure if this will help anyone or not. I have an 03 Sebring, you may know it is not really a Chrysler. Anyway jumping 1-4 did not do it for me alone. I tried several times and the doors would not lock and unlock showing programing mode.

With some searching I found that jumping 1-4 and pushing the hazard button 6 times within ten seconds worked. That is on-off 3 times.

The montero fob I bought off ebay worked like a champ.

Hope this helps some folks with newer cars.

Quick Reply: keyless remote question