Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Kid wants to race me...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 03:47 AM
Default Kid wants to race me...

Ok guys...my ex girlfriends boyfriend wants to race me.. i guess to prove who the real "man" is (we are 17 for christ sake lol) but yah he has a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT....it has 170 horsepower but from what i read it is a really heavy car..we are both stock but im gunna need a few upgrades to beat him...i haul in a 2000 Galant ES 4 banger....if i do cold air and maybe a performance muffler do you guys think i can take him??

GR06

Old 12-13-2005, 01:44 AM
Default RE: Kid wants to race me...

no..

Old 12-13-2005, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Don't bother witha muuffler get a full Cat Back exhaust as well as the CAI for a start and eliminate some of the excess unnecessary weight from your car if you DO decide you'll race him. (Take things like the spare, jack, and tools out of the car and anything else that isn't needed).

Old 12-13-2005, 08:02 AM

Well how does something like this sound...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAN...QQcmdZViewItem

I dont really have much money to throw around...i could swing the 330 for that system with shipping...but i dont know how to install it myself..i dunno what people in my town will charge for such a job...plus is my spare and jack under my car?? ive never seen it lol

Thanks

GR06

Old 12-13-2005, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

That doesn't look too bad at all. If you're anywhere near mechanically inclined you should be able to install it yourself. It's not hard if it's all bolt on. You'll be removing the piping that's already there and bolting the new stuff right up to where the old stuff came off. The 2.5 will defeinately give you a few more ponies and you'll feel the difference right away. As for your spare and jack it SHOULD be in the trunk under the floor. The floor should be a panel that lifts up to reveal your spare, jack, and tools.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:58 AM

he says 4 banger like its a bad thing :-p .. now is his motor a 4G64 like mine? the galant has soo many gens i cant keep em streight... if so... i might look into that exhaust as well.... but maybe not if i'm gone go with the 4G63T swap

Old 12-13-2005, 01:40 PM

Yah i have the same motor...i really like the 4 cylinder in terms of pickup...but once i hit 70 mph theres hardly ANYTHING under that pedal, takes me forever to hit 100+....will a catback system really improve the performance a lot?? isnt it like 5-10 horsepower??

Old 12-13-2005, 02:32 PM

Galant has 9 gens and if your talking about a 4G63t swap then your talking about a motor from the EVO IV to EVO VIII. Since he doesn't have much money I don't think that is possiable for him to do.

A cataback and CAI might help a little. Just some food for thought. I have seen a dyno sheet of a 8G Galant 4G64 with headers, intake, and catback installed pushing 98hp to the wheel. If you beat him it will be the conditions of the race and driver error....

Old 12-13-2005, 03:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Prophet

Galant has 9 gens and if your talking about a 4G63t swap then your talking about a motor from the EVO IV to EVO VIII. Since he doesn't have much money I don't think that is possiable for him to do.

A cataback and CAI might help a little. Just some food for thought. I have seen a dyno sheet of a 8G Galant 4G64 with headers, intake, and catback installed pushing 98hp to the wheel. If you beat him it will be the conditions of the race and driver error....
He has an eclipse spyder talking about a 4G63 swap, ok now back on topic here I dont think even with those things you can win, galants arenot exactly light cars either and with a NA 4G64 I have a feelling youll lose badly No offense I am speaking from owning a 4G64 3G eclipse and it was a 5spd wich is faster than Autos, and I would lose races to 95% of cars

Old 12-13-2005, 04:30 PM

wow really? thats disappointing

i didnt think the auto tranny HP dropoff would be THAT much...but with CAI, Headers AND Exhaust? thats just pathetic..

maybe i should sell my car...find a nice prelude or something lol

Quick Reply: Kid wants to race me...