Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

looking to build 500+ hp motor for my 98 galant, need ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Default RE: looking to build 500+ hp motor for my 98 galant, need ideas!

ORIGINAL: Prophet

ORIGINAL: eclipsed4u

This is one reason why I am so determind to show people what Galants are made of. Are you guys even aware that the Eclipse was based off of the Galant plateform? What car was the first to bring the 4G63t to the US? Wasn't the Eclipse it was the 6G Galant VR-4. You guys are knocking him for something that he is very capable of doing if he is pointed to the right track instead of being laughed at. Yes he needs to do his research but we all had to start somewhere.

Drop the 4G64 your running now and drop in a 4G63t. Your in a better position then I am with your motor facing the same way the DSM motors are. You want lower compression not higher and yes you can drop in a 5 speed. Drop in the 4G63t first then we can talk about building that motor......
wait....you want to show people what Galants are made of but you want to swap the engine out? why not keep the engine and show what a original Galant is made of?

before you answer that...is a '98 Galant the 7G or 8G Galant? i get mixed up in the years.
See.... you guys speak without even knowning the correct info. He has a 7G Galant 1994-1998. A DSM Galant built under the DSM flag with a DSM motor. No differnce then swapping a Eclipse 2g 420a with a 4G63t.
my bad....i couldn't remember if the 8G started in '97 or '98. i stand correct and withdraw all of my comments.

Old 10-19-2005, 07:04 PM

Thers a kid that lives by me and he has a 1g eclipse with about $11,000 under the hood and is pushing around 450+ hp... Now personally, I don't like the looks of the 1g eclipses but for anybody to stick that much money and have a car that can do what his can, I give respect for... I almost bought a GTZ a few months back, but it was for more of a family car (with looks and little more go) but I just don't see putting the money that your talking about putting into this car, when its still a Galant... Sure you will have a sleeper, b/c no one looks at the galants as racers.. But is it really worth sticking that much money into a Galant? Do you like the body style of the galant that much over any of the other cars out there?

I guess i just don't get where ur comin from. And theres a reason why you don't see many like them out there...

Would you put 14" rims ur car? No b/c, it just doesnt look good!

Old 10-19-2005, 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

This is one reason why I am so determind to show people what Galants are made of. Are you guys even aware that the Eclipse was based off of the Galant plateform? What car was the first to bring the 4G63t to the US? Wasn't the Eclipse it was the 6G Galant VR-4. You guys are knocking him for something that he is very capable of doing if he is pointed to the right track instead of being laughed at. Yes he needs to do his research but we all had to start somewhere.

Drop the 4G64 your running now and drop in a 4G63t. Your in a better position then I am with your motor facing the same way the DSM motors are. You want lower compression not higher and yes you can drop in a 5 speed. Drop in the 4G63t first then we can talk about building that motor......
wait....you want to show people what Galants are made of but you want to swap the engine out? why not keep the engine and show what a original Galant is made of?

before you answer that...is a '98 Galant the 7G or 8G Galant? i get mixed up in the years.
See.... you guys speak without even knowning the correct info. He has a 7G Galant 1994-1998. A DSM Galant built under the DSM flag with a DSM motor. No differnce then swapping a Eclipse 2g 420a with a 4G63t.
BTW dsm disolved in 1994 so technically any mitsubishi made after 94 is considered a mitsubishi not a dsm, but there are refered as dsm's because they still shared the same motor, name, and body charcters. Also my motor is a chrysler motor, not a mitsu. My car is far from a dsm. Lastly the swap is a waste of time is cheaper to boost the 420a than to swap it out.... hint hint.
Where talking about taking the head off of a 4G64 and swapping it out for the 4G63t or just finding a 6bolt 4G63t and drop it in. I would rather boost a 2.4L then a 2.0L.... or is the 420A 1.8L?

And we can get techincall as far as DSM.. MMMA... what have you. But if that little sticker in the engine bay says DSM then I consider it a DSM and in 1998 they where supposed to have been disolved not 1995. That is why you might still find DSM under some 2G Eclipes. And you talk with any Normal IL plant employees..... DSM is just a name......

Lastly I never told you to swap out your 420A. If you choose to boost it then good for you. If the next guy doesn't want to keep the 420A and wants to swap hit well good for him. Where talking about a 7G Galant that someone would like to boost and feels there making the right decision. Instead of knocking him for wanting to spend his money the way he see's fitWhy don't you offer some help. If you can't help then why post????

Old 10-19-2005, 09:24 PM

my bad....i couldn't remember if the 8G started in '97 or '98. i stand correct and withdraw all of my comments.
The 8G actually started in 1999-2003. Shares the same motor as the 3G Eclipse from 2000-2005.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: TheAdvocate

Thers a kid that lives by me and he has a 1g eclipse with about $11,000 under the hood and is pushing around 450+ hp... Now personally, I don't like the looks of the 1g eclipses but for anybody to stick that much money and have a car that can do what his can, I give respect for... I almost bought a GTZ a few months back, but it was for more of a family car (with looks and little more go) but I just don't see putting the money that your talking about putting into this car, when its still a Galant... Sure you will have a sleeper, b/c no one looks at the galants as racers.. But is it really worth sticking that much money into a Galant? Do you like the body style of the galant that much over any of the other cars out there?

I guess i just don't get where ur comin from. And theres a reason why you don't see many like them out there...

Would you put 14" rims ur car? No b/c, it just doesnt look good!
Actually yeah I do love the body style. Whole reason why I bought mine..

but I am more into car audio....

I choose to boost not to win races but as a business perpective. You can not sell turbo parts for a Galant until you turbocharged it first and to show people you can turbocharge the Galant. In a show which I will unveil next year what my car looks like now my car will stand out. Not because I am boosted but also having a SQ set up that hits 142db and the overall look. I plan to win trophies next year and you can't do that by looking like everyone else.

Old 10-20-2005, 12:22 AM

Where talking about taking the head off of a 4G64 and swapping it out for the 4G63t or just finding a 6bolt 4G63t and drop it in. I would rather boost a 2.4L then a 2.0L.... or is the 420A 1.8L?

And we can get techincall as far as DSM.. MMMA... what have you. But if that little sticker in the engine bay says DSM then I consider it a DSM and in 1998 they where supposed to have been disolved not 1995. That is why you might still find DSM under some 2G Eclipes. And you talk with any Normal IL plant employees..... DSM is just a name......

Lastly I never told you to swap out your 420A. If you choose to boost it then good for you. If the next guy doesn't want to keep the 420A and wants to swap hit well good for him. Where talking about a 7G Galant that someone would like to boost and feels there making the right decision. Instead of knocking him for wanting to spend his money the way he see's fitWhy don't you offer some help. If you can't help then why post????
The 4g64 is a 2.4l the 4g63 is a 2.0l.... You got it backwards. What you wnat to do is match up a 4g64 bottom end(2.4) with a 4g63 head(2.0) b/c the 4g63 is a dohc motor rather than a 4g64 sohc. Doing that will let you spool a turbo twice the size as the regular 4g64's will.

the 420a is a 2.0 liter. 4(4 cyls) 20(2.0 liters)a(first production model)

With the "hint hint" I was refering to the fact that he would benifit from boosting his 2.4 more than if he were to put in a 6 bolt 4g63 2.0. In high hp 4clys the biggest limitation is the lack of displacment.

For the dsm thing I suggest you read this before you start to throw facts around about stuff.

http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q...keandmodel.htm

"Diamond-Star Motors was officially dissolved in 1993 after the design and production tooling for the 1994 and 1995 cars was complete. Mitsubishi Motors continues to operate the plant formerly responsible for DSM cars under sole ownership."

Its very rare to find a dsm lable on the motor code of a 95, which I can promess with become a collector car in the future. No cars after 95 came with a dsm lable under the hood. For the record I said that dsm dissolved in 94... I was a year off.

Old 10-20-2005, 12:43 AM

The 4g64 is a 2.4l the 4g63 is a 2.0l.... You got it backwards. What you wnat to do is match up a 4g64 bottom end(2.4) with a 4g63 head(2.0) b/c the 4g63 is a dohc motor rather than a 4g64 sohc. Doing that will let you spool a turbo twice the size as the regular 4g64's will.

the 420a is a 2.0 liter. 4(4 cyls) 20(2.0 liters)a(first production model)

With the "hint hint" I was refering to the fact that he would benifit from boosting his 2.4 more than if he were to put in a 6 bolt 4g63 2.0. In high hp 4clys the biggest limitation is the lack of displacment.

For the dsm thing I suggest you read this before you start to throw facts around about stuff.

http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q...keandmodel.htm

"Diamond-Star Motors was officially dissolved in 1993 after the design and production tooling for the 1994 and 1995 cars was complete. Mitsubishi Motors continues to operate the plant formerly responsible for DSM cars under sole ownership."

Its very rare to find a dsm lable on the motor code of a 95, which I can promess with become a collector car in the future. No cars after 95 came with a dsm lable under the hood. For the record I said that dsm dissolved in 94... I was a year off.
Lets just stop about the DSM and what one considers a DSM. That is going to go around and around like whether to vent or not to vent.....

Now about that head you said the same thing I just said........
I said.... take the head off of the 4G64 and swap it with the 4G63t. I would rather boost a 2.4L then a 2.0L.... so I don't have it backwards. I also just suggested the reg. 4G63t because even though he is losing .4L he still gains in a good motor vs. the plain old 4G64 and he may not be inclined to do the head swap.

Old 10-20-2005, 01:21 AM

oic You worded it funny and I misread it, n/m then but ya the 4g63 would be stronger out of the box but that .4 makes a world of a difference. Compair the srt4 and and gst. Basically the same but that .4 makes her go.

Old 10-20-2005, 12:08 PM

The 8G actually started in 1999-2003. Shares the same motor as the 3G Eclipse from 2000-2005.
damn....my years are all off.

Old 10-21-2005, 12:03 AM

oic You worded it funny and I misread it, n/m then but ya the 4g63 would be stronger out of the box but that .4 makes a world of a difference. Compair the srt4 and and gst. Basically the same but that .4 makes her go.
Oh I agree. When I am ready I plan on doing the same kind of swap but use a 4G63t head from a EVO IV to EVO VIII instead since they face the same way. Makes for an awesome set up....

http://www.dragsport.com/issue/2005/...er_story.shtml

What do the EVO-VIII, WRX, and GT-R all have in common? All three of these platforms rely on an all-wheel-drive configuration to deliver phenomenal street performance. Unlike a two-wheel-drive vehicle that only uses two contact patches for acceleration; an all-wheel-drive vehicle has the advantage of using all four tire contact patches to propel the vehicle forward. As a result, all-wheel-drive vehicles are more capable of putting the power to the pavement. Putting the power to the pavement was the exact intent of Jimmy Jennings when he purchased this 2003 EVO VIII. Thanks to the wrenches at RnR of El Cajon, California, this Mitsubishi lays down 620 horsepower on race gas and over 450 horsepower with on a diet of decaffeinated 91-octane.

Balance: Response & Power

When building a turbocharged performance vehicle, the tuner must always strike a balance between response and power. While gigantic turbochargers are necessary for giant power figures, throttle response and the amount of useable powerband can be compromised. When we fitted our stock GT-R RB26DETT engine with a pair of turbochargers capable of generating 1000 flywheel horsepower, the entire personality of the engine changed. With the factory turbochargers in place, the engine starting pulling from 4000 rpm; then it paced itself to redline. With the BIG turbos in place, the engine was lazy until about 6300 rpm. From 6300 rpm to 9000 rpm, the engine pulled as if someone had activated a 200-shot of nitrous oxide. Our combination made the horsepower figures, but it wasn't that fun to drive due to its narrow powerband and lazy response.

To avoid this situation with this Mitsubishi, a target horsepower goal needed to be set first. Jimmy's desire was for a combination that could produce in excess of 600 horsepower on race gas and over 450 horsepower on 91-octane pump gas. These criteria led RnR to choose a GT35 turbocharger. The GT35 turbocharger features some of the latest-generation turbocharger technologies and its flow potential was perfect for the horsepower goals. However, the GT35 is still a "big" turbo that will definitely be lazy on a stock engine. Hence, the decision was made to build the engine with an emphasis on improving response.

Stroked, Poked, Ported, and Prepped

There are a number of factors that can influence how a turbo responds on a particular engine. These factors include engine size, camshaft profiles, exhaust manifold design and fuel/ignition tuning. All other factors being equal, a larger engine will provide a greater supply of exhaust energy to drive the turbine section of the turbocharger. Quite simply, a 2.4-liter engine will be able to spool the turbo to the desired boost level about 20 percent sooner than a 2.0-liter. If a 2.0-liter engine reaches "full boost" by 5000rpm with a particular turbo, a 2.4-liter engine will reach "full boost" at about 4150rpm. Since the 4G64 crankshaft measures 100mm, instead of 88mm (the original stroke of the 4G63), the displacement of the 4G64 engine is considerably larger. On the negative side, the long stroke of the 4G64 does limit rpm potential. Even with the best available bottom end components, exceeding 8000 rpm is not recommended on 4G64s, as average piston speeds are already buzzing at 5200 feet per minute at that rpm. Under 8000 rpm, the 9-to-1 forged pistons and Eagle connecting rods have no problem staying together.

While additional displacement helps to bring the boost in sooner, RnR also decided to capitalize on optimizing the cylinder head flow, camshaft profiles, exhaust manifold design and fuel/ignition tuning to maximize response. An RnR sheet-metal intake manifold and 65mm throttle body were called upon to direct airflow into the cylinder head. The original cylinder head was worked over with a set of Ferrea 1mm-oversize valves and Tomei valve springs. A pair of HKS 272 bumpsticks were selected to control the valve events. When valve events call for the exhaust to flow out of the cylinder, an RnR equal-length "ram-horn", tubular exhaust manifold directs high-enthalpy exhaust gases into the turbine inlet of the GT35 turbo. Of course, performance is never optimized unless the fuel and ignition delivery is tuned for maximum performance.

To provide the correct amount of fuel, a Walbro in-tank 255lph fuel pump pushes the gasoline up to the quartet of 1000 cc/min injectors. These injectors take cues from the AEM EMS engine management system. The AEM EMS also triggers the AEM C2DI digital, multi-channel ignition amplifier. This amplifier powers the coil-on-plug ignition that provides the high voltage for the NGK BP7ES plugs.

The end result of this combination is a setup that matches the factory torque output at 3500 (286 lb-ft); provides a peak torque that's more than double the factory figure at 4900rpm (590 ft-lb); and delivers a wheel horsepower that's over two-and-a-half times the factory horsepower output. A tank full of C16 and a twist of the boost controller up to 30psi is all that's needed to bring out the Mr. Hyde in this Dr. Jekyll.

For more on this article and more grab a copy of DSport Magazine on newsstands and tuning shops nationwide!

Quick Reply: looking to build 500+ hp motor for my 98 galant, need ideas!