Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

No spark! Not firing!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 07:54 PM
Default No spark! Not firing!

We changed the head gasket, timing belt and everything along the way after the head gasket blew. Got it all back together and pluged everything up turned the motor over and there is no fire at all. the coils arent sparking. what all can cause the coils not to fire. The coils were firing before we took it apart now nothing. Are there relays somewhere? what sensors would cause the coil to not spark? any suggestions would help. I have the 2.4 motor.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:51 PM

what year model is it? makes a big difference on the advice i can give you. 2.4 engines have been in galants since late 93. and each body style had a different type of 2.4. but i can still help.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:19 PM

It's a 2003. It doesn't have Mivec.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:38 PM

if it was firing before you took it apart, my money is on you didnt hook something back up. the coils firing depend on a few things, mainly the cam sensor signal, and the crank sensor signal telling the pcm that the engine is trying to crank up so it can fire the coils as well as the injectors. are both sensors pluged up?? cam sensor is on the back of the head, crank sensor connector is right next to the upper timming cover twords the front of the car. now im just going to say that i have seen the crank sensor get broken one way or another when you change timming belts at home. the sensor itself bolts onto the oil pump assembly and the crank blade that has three ears on it passes through it when the engine is turning. i have also seen people leave out that crank blade. that blade fits onto the crank shaft inbetween the timing belt gear and the balance belt gear. a

Old 05-31-2009, 09:43 PM

that blade can fit on the crankshaft either way but only is suposed to fit one way. have to look at the marks on it. if its on the wrong way its not sending the proper signal and the pcm wont fire the coils. also if you too the cam out of the head when you took it off it also has a small blade on it as well, also have seen people leave that off too. if you have access to a scan tool, just bring up the data list and see if you get those 2 signals. this is a good place to start. good luck, greg.....

Old 06-01-2009, 08:12 AM

thanks for the quick and great response. Both sensors are plugged up for sure. I know we bolted the crankshaft sensor back up. We were pretty postive that we put the blade back on the right way and not backwards but it could be possiable. I guess we will take it back apart real quick and check to see how the cranksensor looks and see if its broken or not and also check to see if the blade is on the correct way. We didnt take the cam out so the cam blade should be there fine. We did take the housing out where the cam sensor mounts on the side of the head, we put it back on and sealed it. It only goes on one way correct?
Is there no relays or anything simple that could cause it not to fire?
again thanks alot for the help and great info.
oh also we actually replaced the old crankshaft blade with a new one

Last edited by b--ryan; 06-01-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:39 PM

the MFI relay is in the fuse block in the engine compartment. take off the cover and look inside of it. its labled and will tell you which spot its in. most of those relays are the same part number so you can swap it with another one and be safe. i still think you need to check out the crank sensor and the blade. do you have access to a scan tool?? that would make this alot eaisier. let me know. greg.....

Old 06-02-2009, 07:34 AM

Greg thanks a TON! you have been all the help and more that we could have asked for.
We got it to crank! We started out by going into check out the crank sensor like you said turns out we put the blade on backwards. Also i put the crank sensor on backwards it was facing out instead of around the crank blade how i did that i have no idea but it turned out to be good that i did that since the blade was backwards being that i did put the sensor on backwards it didnt get damaged by the backwards blade.
We got it all back together had spark took a second but it fired up! It was late so i didnt get to let it idle long, the head sounded a lilttle loud maybe the sound of needing a valve adjustment. How hard it that?
Again thanks Greg you were a big help when we needed it.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:46 PM

glad i could help. there is no valve adjustment on that engine, mabey the exhaust manifold is cracked or not tightened up all the way. let me know. greg...

Old 06-18-2009, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by jgbrules
glad i could help. there is no valve adjustment on that engine, mabey the exhaust manifold is cracked or not tightened up all the way. let me know. greg...
thanks again greg you were excatly right again, the manifold to pipe gasket is bad and leaking like crazy right there. car runs great!
Thanks a ton greg it wouldnt be running without you.

Quick Reply: No spark! Not firing!