Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Problems With 96 Galant - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Default Problems With 96 Galant - Please Help

Hi, I'm new here, but I searched, and didn't really find answers to my questions.

1. My 96 Galant ES has power door locks, and they all work fine except for the passenger side door. It won't respond to any of the buttons, or the remotes. I either have to manually unlock it with the key, or after I get inside the driver's side, I have to lean over and unlock it. By the way, the button on the passenger side, and the driver's side, works fine...it locks and unlocks the rest of the doors, just not that particular side. Is this simple to fix? I think it's just a wiring issue, but I'm not sure.

2. My check engine light has been lit for a year or 2 now. My mechanic says nothing is wrong, so perhaps this is yet another wiring issue. Can it be fixed?

3. My radio has a mind of its own. Sometimes it gets louder or quieter randomly. If it gets loud, I turn the **** back down, but it doesn't get quiet unless I turn it a lot. If it gets quiet, I try to turn it up, but it takes a lot of turns to get it back up. Could be more wiring issues, and if there's a simple fix, that'd be nice. Also, related to the radio, the antenna motor seems to have stopped working. When I start the car, or turn the radio on, it will make the sound like it's trying to pull the antenna up, but the antenna doesn't move. When I turn the car off, same thing, but antenna stays still. I have the antenna in the up position all the time, but it'd be nice to have it go down again.

4. My headlights seem really dim, and one of the lights is actually out. It's not the main headlight, but it's the light with the yellow glass in the corner. What's this light called? I found something called a cornering light on the AutoZone website, and the bulb was like 4 bucks, so if that's it, I'll just go buy it and replace it.

5. The power mirrors don't work. I can pop the mirrors into position using my hands, but not the controls on the dash.

6. The A/C vents have come loose. Well...not the vents themselves, but the plastic grate things that are on the dash. They won't stay in one position, they always swing back upward and point towards the top of the windshield. Is it possible for me to get in there and tighten those up a bit?

6. Where can I find some information on how to remove the front dash (to tighten the A/C grates), and the side door panels (to possibly fix the door lock, and also maybe replace a speaker that is messed up)?

This car has 183,000 miles on it, and I don't really think it's worth putting all that much money in to it to fix it up. Since it's the summer, I've got some time to mess around with it, and if I can do the repairs myself, I'll do it, but they're not burdensome enough to actually spend money to fix (aside from necessary parts of course). I thought about throwing a brand new head unit and at least 4 brand new speakers into it, but for a car that I'm not sure will even last me through next week, it just doesn't seem worth it. How long do you think my car has before it dies? It used to be my dad's car, and he's had problems with it not starting before (usually after he leaves it untouched for more than 4 days), and we really just can't tell how much more time it's got.