Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Problems problems problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 12:57 AM
Default Problems problems problems

Hi. This is my first time on here and I pray someone can help with my problem. My 2000 Montero Sport has been a great vehicle but now I'm having a ton of problems. First, my four wheel drive light is flashing and ABS light is on. Secondly, my radio, inside lights, door locks, etc. are not working. Also power outlets aka cigarette lighters. I plugged my phone charger in to check them and on one of them the horn actually started blowing! What the heck! And thirdly I had my timing belt replaced along with all other belts on the front of the motor and now I have a bad rattle somewhere in the motor at startup. I have had it to 2 mechanics and a dealership (big mistake) and no luck. I hope someone out there can help. I have taken good care of my vehicle but it is suddenly falling apart!

Old 01-01-2012, 04:59 PM

Cant help with the electrical problems, take it to the dealer , they will likely pick a problem that is always present i.e the windows dont work then begin to diagnose. Once a problem is found then look to see how some or all issues are related ie windows dont work due to melted wiring.As far as the noise, could be internal engine noise or possibly the timing belt tensioner is weak, was it replaced with the timing belt?

Old 01-01-2012, 05:21 PM

Your first two problems are addressed in this FAQ. Scroll down until you find the description of your problem with the 4WD/ABS lights and then the power/horn issue.

Montero Sport Online Forum - F A Q- Updated 3/12/05

I don't know about the rattle. Whoever did your timing belt should fix it.