Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero 1990 (diesel) Electric Heater (glow) Problems, Heater/glows relays and timing problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Default Montero 1990 (diesel) Electric Heater (glow) Problems, Heater/glows relays and timing problems

Hello, I have a Montero turbo diesel 1990, I'm having problems with the heaters/glow, the glow plugs seems to be ok (I have changed the 4 for them).

the problems seems to be electrical, from what I have noticed it works like, you turn the ignition key to on position, and the glow plugs get electricity for a time, then there's a CLACK from a relay or similar maybe? and then you can start the car...

The problem is that the time is really short... and if I do it again (key to off possition then to on) it's even shorter, so in the mornings I'm getting a hard time to start it... since i have to heat wait, reheat and so on until i can start it. Also I'm worry that my start engine gets damaged, (it's already starting to sound strange)...

My question is: is there any heat/glow sensor so similar involved?? it seems that the once the glow plugs have electricity they wait for a signal from a sensor to stop heating... i supposed to prevent burning the glow plugs or to avoid heating them if the car is hot enough for ignition...

I can see a temp sensor with 2 plugs in the header and also another one that looks like a sensor with only 1 plug... but i have unplugged both and still same behavior, so it seems that they are not involved, or maybe the electric part that do it is damaged??

where can I download the electronic schematics or diagrams for the heating/glow circuit? since it seems to be complicated... i have two big relays at one side of the engine (not on the engine, on the chassis), those are the one that i think do the clicking sound, and then at left side under the steering wheel I have a gold box, with a plug with like 10 cables in.. .if I unplugged it, no heating at all... i have tried to get that box out but looks like I'll have to disarm almost all the front interior to get it out...

please if someone knows where to get the diagrams or better where to download them, please let me know, also suggestions and tips are more than welcome!!!!

Thanks!