Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Rear engine oil leak..help

Old 12-01-2016, 07:24 AM
Default Rear engine oil leak..help

Hello

I am having a pretty bad oil leak on the rear/fire wall side of the engine. It seems to be focused on the passenger side.. About a minute or so after I clean the engine I can see it seeping down the engine again. I thought it was the oil pan drain plug but when I had it on the ramps it was coming from higher up in the engine bay. From what I understand is that there is a camshaft seal plug back there that is notorious for leaking. .
Could a cam seal o ring cause that much oil on my engine. What are the symptoms of a faulty camshaft o ring seal.

Last edited by Infamousbulldog; 12-02-2016 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Morw info
Old 12-02-2016, 04:16 PM

Could possibly be either you camshaft(s) seals, CAS (Cam Angle Sensor) O-ring, or valve cover gasket.

What year is your Galant?

Old 12-02-2016, 04:22 PM

1999 galant es 3.0l v6

Old 12-03-2016, 08:21 AM

99 galant es 3.0l v6.
Is there a diy on the rear camshaft seals? Is it a hard job?

Originally Posted by MrGalantGuy
Could possibly be either you camshaft(s) seals, CAS (Cam Angle Sensor) O-ring, or valve cover gasket.

What year is your Galant?

Old 12-05-2016, 10:45 AM

I believe on the SOHC 4G64 on the 8g Galant its just a rear cam cover which is easy to remove and replace a O-Ring. What you need to do is clean off the oil as much as you can and if possibly see if you can locate the source. If its coming from the rear of the more (Side facing the firewall) its most likely the valve cover gasket.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:16 PM

How hard is it to change the valve cover gaskets. It seems like a lot of work just to get to them.
I have new valve cover gasket set,plenom gasket,distributor o-ring,rear cam cover o rings,spark plugs and pcv valve coming in. I also have a mechanic who will install them on the side for $175 for labor. Is that a good price?

I believe on the SOHC 4G64 on the 8g Galant its just a rear cam cover which is easy to remove and replace a O-Ring. What you need to do is clean off the oil as much as you can and if possibly see if you can locate the source. If its coming from the rear of the more (Side facing the firewall) its most likely the valve cover gasket.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:06 PM

Honestly..you can do it yourself. The valve cover is easy to remove..I believe you remove 10mm bolts and carefully remove it from the cylinder head. It might take a little effort especially if the the orginal gasket and if its hardened. Its very straightforward to replace those parts..but if you aren't confident then pay someone else. $175 seems a bit high..but then again I usually do my own work on my car.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:31 PM

My engine is the 99 3.0l v6 it has the intake manifold blocking the rear valve cover. I think your thinking of the 4cylinder.

Honestly..you can do it yourself. The valve cover is easy to remove..I believe you remove 10mm bolts and carefully remove it from the cylinder head. It might take a little effort especially if the the orginal gasket and if its hardened. Its very straightforward to replace those parts..but if you aren't confident then pay someone else. $175 seems a bit high..but then again I usually do my own work on my car.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:21 AM

Oh my bad.

V6 is a bit more challenging since you have to remove the intake and plenum to access the rear valve cover. For $175...thats a Ok price, could be a little cheaper. For shop rate..thats about a 1 1/2 or labor which is reasonable.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:28 AM

For $175 he is replacing both valve cover gaskets,both rear cam shaft o rings,distributor o ring,intake manifold plenom,spark plugs, pcv valve.

Oh my bad.

V6 is a bit more challenging since you have to remove the intake and plenum to access the rear valve cover. For $175...thats a Ok price, could be a little cheaper. For shop rate..thats about a 1 1/2 or labor which is reasonable.