Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

replacing my water pump?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 05:56 AM
Default replacing my water pump?!?!?!?!

Alright i just bought a galant that needs the wter pump replaced and im not sure where it is locted and how to remove it. I know it is located somewhere in the timing belt area.So where is it and how do i remove it?

Old 09-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Default RE: replacing my water pump?!?!?!?!

just off the top of my head i wont be able to give you a direct area, but i'll try to help you out as much a possible, it USUALLY, near the timing belt area as you said. Take off the covers that seal the valve cover, and the crank pully. Somewhere between the cam gear and the pulley should be the water pump. I hope you know what your looking for, and reconise it. It's better if you get a manual that teaches you how to remove it, becuase if you dont know where it is, chances are you cant take it off properly and is going to lead to overheating issues.

Gus

Old 09-25-2007, 09:09 AM

Get a shop to do it, because if you don't know what you are doing and get the timing messed up it will bend the values in your head( big $ ). Also have the timing belt and balancer belt changed with the water pump.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:12 AM

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?br...&go=TBHome

Old 11-21-2007, 02:24 PM

Don't stop there! I own a 2000 Glant ES- replaced my heater core, radiator and water pump (along w timing belt) wthin the last 8 months. Heater core leaked first, then the radiator. I decided to replace the pump when it ws time to replace the timing belt (61k miles). I did the heater core myself and took three days off my life.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Why replace it all??? Heater coresisnot a part that go bad often.

Thats like me telling you,since your replacing that bad turbo you might as well do the muffler too.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:16 PM

LMAO nice comparison.. trex, did ya figure it out?

Old 11-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: nick_200321

LMAO nice comparison.. trex, did ya figure it out?
Lol thanks

Old 11-22-2007, 02:37 PM

apologies for the bad description. what I meant to say is that the timimg belt should be changed too since the belt has to be removed to replace the pump. I was just sharing my woes with the radiator and heater core in the same message

Old 11-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: fritz

apologies for the bad description. what I meant to say is that the timimg belt should be changed too since the belt has to be removed to replace the pump. I was just sharing my woes with the radiator and heater core in the same message
Hey no problem, I hope I didnt come off like an axxhole. I agree always do the timing belt and water pump together and dont forget to check the t/b tensioner, tensioner and idler pulleys.

Not 100% sure abt galants but also check to see if it has balance shafts. and if its got it replace that belt too.

Quick Reply: replacing my water pump?!?!?!?!