Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Squealing Belts

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Unhappy Squealing Belts

Hi Folks,

I’m new to the forum and I want to thank everybody in advance for any help you may offer. I’m the member of a few other car forums, and I’ve found that there all really great for advice and help.

I have a 1997 Gallant with the little 4 cylinder engine, and I have put three sets of new belts on the car (except for the A/C, I eliminated it because it doesn’t work anyway) and the belts constantly squeal.

It doesn’t matter how much I adjust them, it doesn’t matter what home remedies I try (corn starch) (belt squeal spray) they constantly squeal.

Please tell me there’s a way to get these things to stop squealing. I have three other cars and none of their belts squeal like the ones on the Gallant.

Thanks, Frustrated

Old 05-29-2009, 02:50 PM

Did you follow the tensioning specs for the belts ? When I replaced my A/C clutch I borrowed a gauge to measure the belt tension. The old fashioned way was to push on it and see how much downward play you had.

The only home remedy I have ever used for squeaky belts it running a bar of plain Ivory soap against them while running.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:25 PM

Looks like my edit didn't take.

Also make sure you have (or your service person) has cleaned all the rubber residue off the pulleys that was put down from the slipping belts. If it remains it can cause the new belts to slip again.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

When you had the belts off did you inspect all the pullies and see if they spun free?

Old 05-29-2009, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by dsm1990gsx
When you had the belts off did you inspect all the pullies and see if they spun free?
That's also a good suggestion. If you have a pulley that is out of round/damaged or not spinning correctly it could also be your problem and new belts would not help correct it.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:03 PM

To Broke Dad,
Trust me bro, it's not a question of the tension being wrong, and as far as cleaning the pulleys of old residue, there as clean as a whistle.

When I said in my original post that I've done everything under the sun to get these things to stop squealing - I truly have attacked the problem from every direction you can imagine.

What side of the belt did you rub the soap? The flat upper side or the ribbed under side?

To dsm1990gsx,
The pulleys aren't restricted in any way, they just squeal like a banshee, period.

There are no restrictions, the tension is spot on, there's no glazing, and the pulleys all line up perfectly. These belts are just determined to scream.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:37 PM

you probably have a failing crankshaft damper.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:37 PM

You let the bar of soap rub against the lower "V' side that contacts the pulleys. Just hold it and let the belt(s) form a groove in it. It's a very old remedy. We understand your frustration and are trying to help in any way we can. I really hope you can find your solution and one of us can offer options that might work.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:05 PM

Same problem here...
In my case, oem belts never squeal, every other brand squeal.
(I have two galants, same thing on both)
OEM belts does not seem so "rubbery" (if that is even a word)

Old 05-29-2009, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Galantcrnac
Same problem here...
In my case, oem belts never squeal, every other brand squeal.
(I have two galants, same thing on both)
OEM belts does not seem so "rubbery" (if that is even a word)
The composition/manufacturing material(s) was something nobody else had thought of yet (myself included). Thanks for "chiming in" with the suggestion.

Quick Reply: Squealing Belts