Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Transmission Fault Codes in a 1992 Mitsubishi Galant

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 10:38 PM
Exclamation Transmission Fault Codes in a 1992 Mitsubishi Galant

Hello,

This is my first post here, hope some of you can point me in the right direction. The car is a 1992 Mitsubishi Galant E33ASEGML (Actually called MF instead of Galant where I live), with a 4G63 engine, and a 4-speed automatic transmission (KM175). I'm trying to obtain the fault codes for the Transaxle Control Module or TCM (The transmission computer) because it doesn't go into 4th gear, which I believe is overdrive, it also used to randomly have trouble shifting sometimes, which was temporarily fixed by turning the car Off and then On again, even without stopping, but I have not experienced the latter in quite some time. According to the manual, the correct way to read out fault codes with a voltmeter (I can't think of a way to get my hands on a scan tool) is to read the voltage between two pins (See Image A), I believe I did it correctly, but got a constant reading of about 4 V, which would indicate a "Defective Transaxle Control Module (TCM)" (See image B), before I go crazy and start following wires or buying an replacement TCM, I wanted to make sure that I'm correctly following the instructions. I read the voltage between terminals "10: Data link control" and "12: Ground", any idea if I should be using terminal 6? I'm not sure what it is for, and the instructions are not extremely clear in my opinion.

Thanks in advance for any guidance that you can provide me with!