Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

turn signal stuck in right turn

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Default turn signal stuck in right turn

1997 Galant ES 98kmiles

it all started with a arcing sound which appeared to be coming from the behind the dash. then the first time i used the turn signal ( right ) it would not cancel. The switch moves up and down but still signaling right turn. I have check the bulbs and replace the double filliment rear. I also switched the flasher relay with a new onebut still signals right turn. I am ready to pull the stearing wheel and change the switch unless someone can give me something relivent to check for.

Thank you all for your help with this one.

Rick

Old 08-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Default RE: turn signal stuck in right turn

It could be the Hazard flasher unit too. They are tied in together. Where does the clicking sound come from?
I wouldn't doubt that the turn lever contacts are stuck though. If you do decide to remove the lever, turn the car on to see if the signal is still flashing, if it is, then you know that it's not the lever, but a stuck relay (Hazard unit ).
Good luck bud and let us know how it turns out...ooops, no pun intended.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:13 AM

SC97

it does still signal turn when car is started and will not cancel. from what I can tell the flasher that was clicking is the one I changed out with a new flasher relay. also, when i engage the e flasher it uses the same flasher relay as the turn signals. I think I will go buy the manual just to have the elec diagram. Its been a few years since I pulled out the ole stirring wheel puller but better than paying 70$ an labor.

Thx again
Rick

Old 08-04-2007, 08:32 PM

Just remember to disconnect the battery and don't reconnect it before reinstalling the steering wheel so that the SRS light doesn't come on.

I haven't looked at the schematics in awhile myself, but I believe the turn circuit goes through the e flasher relay box, then the turn relay.
The e flasher supercedes any turn signal input too.