Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

09 Lancer GTS CVT

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 02:11 AM
Default 09 Lancer GTS CVT

Im looking at getting this model and am torn between the graphite and the octane blue. I know for sure im going to tint and get chrome accents. Any suggestions? I wish I had the cash for the evo.....

Old 04-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Banned
Default RE: 09 Lancer GTS CVT

My suggestion would be to not get the chrome accents..... Personally I like the Blue : )

Can I ask why you want the CVT?

Old 04-27-2008, 12:15 AM

Honestly I dont see any difference between the M/T and the CVT.

Maybe im just slow but are there any differences?

Old 04-27-2008, 12:28 AM
Banned

A tonne.

One being the actual design of the transmission. A CVT esentially has one single gear, but the ratio changes relative to the throttle position, and speed. (CVT = Constantly variable transmission)What happens when you go wide open throttle... the RPMS climb, and when they reach redline normally it would change gears, but the CVT just stays there... and the car keeps pulling. Its pretty crazy cool lol.

There are pros and cons to this. One being that the car will be quicker because it will always be in theengines peak torque. The downside is fuel economy. Compared to the manual trans, it goes down a lot.

Another downside is the control you have over the car. As with any automatic, you don't have the use of a clutch, so that is an element of control you now don't have. I just don't feel right when I cant control that...

The pros of a manual trans is you learn the ropes of a stick for one. You generally drive a little better because you have to do more, and it makes you a little more connected to the car. It is also a little easier to control your fuel consumption. Also, nothing compares to the fun of boming through the gears : P

Oh, and yeah... skip the chrome stuff.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:37 AM

Now what about the paddle shifters? Doesn't that give you the same feeling as a stick would?

I mean it holds the car in that gear until you shift out of it.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:41 AM
Banned

Not at all. The entire point of a clutch is to give you control over the engagement of power.

For example, in race cars, if you are sliding or losing traction, the first thing you are supposed to do is push the clutch in. What the hell can you do it you have an auto? Hmmm... not a lot. And lifting off the gas throws you into a spin.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:48 AM

Well those of us that are good drivers know how to put more power to it and gain control back no matter what.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:53 AM
Banned

I am telling you, you DON'T have the same control over the car.

It all boils down to what you want the CVT for.

If you are a car enthusiast, you wouldn't have even considered it. If you care about fuel economy, bad decision too. If you just want to cruise around... go for it.

But forthe love of God skip the chrome ****...

Old 04-27-2008, 01:01 AM

Ok I get the point with the chrome. All I would do with that is the front grill. Nothing more. The CVT is more of an option i wasnt taught how to drive a manuel. I know the concept but havnt put it to use.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:20 AM

+1 agree with Sebba...although when you upshift in the cvt it engages real quick, it is not the same as driving a 5pseed (FTMFW!!!!!)

Quick Reply: 09 Lancer GTS CVT