Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

Can anybody help me? Totaly stumped on this...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Default Can anybody help me? Totaly stumped on this...

Ok Im completely new to this forum but i was hoping you guys could give me a hand with this.I just took over payments on my brothers 02 lancer, its just an es with an auto tranny,meant for me to get better mileage that my 89 camaro. However itis making this horrid whining/growlingnoise all the time. When i let off the accelerator, and i dont apply thebrakes that noise begins to develop a grind. I dont know what my brother did to this thing before he moved to germany but it never used to sound like this, ill attach a vid so you can hear it, but this sound is constant, and increases with engine rpms. You can hear it at any speed and its fairly annoying and with my experience on my camaro, if somthing is making a noise out of the ordinary...you fix it or you will be paying a much larger bill.

The only thing i remember wrong with it was my brother snapped his alternator belt a while back and was running it without one because he was cheap.

Ive asked 3 different techs and i've taken a crack at diagnosing it, It sounds like its coming from the alternator, or that area. 2 of those techs said it COULD be the pully from running no belt but that seems redundant because on V-belt systems, thepullies wouldnt generate noise from no belt. THe third one said it could be the alternator like i thought, but i dont nkow if a bad alternator would make THAT much noise. I used an automotive stethascope (or however the hell you spell it) and the only excessive amount of noise im hearing is from the alternator. I know its not the axle or cv joints because the noise is there in neutral so those are out. My only concern with thinking its the alternator8 is im still getting a sufficient charge out of it, so im not sure if thats it or not. Kinda on the fence about this HELP!

Anybody have some advice? I dont wanna blow $150+ on an alternator if thats not it. Anyone have/had a similar issue??

Heres the vid link : http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...t=NOise002.flv

Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Default RE: Can anybody help me? Totaly stumped on this...

.could very well be the bearings in the alternator getting loud.

pull off the belt so that the alternator is not being driven.
if the noise goes away , then it is the alternator.

the noise sounds like it could be the power steering pump also.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:54 AM

bearing alternator or fly wheel problem the sound will not go away especially whenit's raining

Old 03-19-2008, 10:51 AM

well with a bit of trobule and a phone card i got ahold of my brother, turns out he was mudding this car...stupid. He said to go ask our neighbor about it because he's an ASE tech and he looked it over, it is the alternator bearings so looks like im down for a new one, there wouldnt happen to be rebuild kits for these would there? If not this will be the first time ive paid for an alternator in owning 4 cars. Now that i know it was from mud the random grinding noise makes sense because it would grind, then fade away, id hit a bump and it would repeat

Old 03-19-2008, 09:44 PM

hey man i think i know your problem. inside of the alternator pulley is a bearing. the bearing might have gotten rusted or seized while you brother left it un used. try taking off the belt and spinning the pulley and see if you hear the noise. let me know if this is it.