Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

Can someone make anything out of this?????? -02 Mirage LS

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 01:13 PM
Default Can someone make anything out of this?????? -02 Mirage LS

My wife's car, an 01 Mirage LS, has been acting weird for a while now. It had the gauges die out, which I've replaced recently after about 7 months, and before the gauges died out the car was having some other problems. Now I'm not sure where the problem lies so I hope one of you master mechanics out there can figure it out.

Here's the problem:
A while ago (like I said before the gauges died on her) sometimes the car would not start on the first try. This was very sporadic so it was hard to even figure out what the cause might be. Wasn't severe so she just worked her way around it by turning the key several times to turn on the car.

Recently it's gotten more complicated. It still does the same thing but now the car has decided that it will turn off randomly while driving. This has scared my wife and now I'm stuck driving her car until I can figure out what's wrong with it. I thought maybe it's the gas pump or filter but the car will sometimes go a week without it turning off on me in the middle of driving nor give problems while starting up.

Then she gave me some more info on the problem and this is where it gets weird. She told me that if the "Check Engine Light" ("CEL") doesn't turn on when she first turns the ignition the car won't start. Without even trying to turn the car on she would turn the key to the off position and back to the on position a few times until the light turned on and then she would proceed to start the car. This is the same problem occurring when the car turns off while driving. The car would just turn off by itself without warning and then you can't imediately turn it back on. The "CEL" is usually not on and to turn the car on it would take some turning of the key like when trying to start the car. It's the weirdest thing I've seen and I'm just dumbfounded by it.

I'm thinking that it might be the computer but I don't want to go and buy one if that's not what the problem is. Can anyone figure this one out? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 11-23-2004, 07:59 AM
Default RE: Can someone make anything out of this?????? -02 Mirage LS

if "cel" is involved take it to auto zone or somewhere and have a diagnostics test run. I say autozone because they now do it for free a shop will charge upwards of $30 for the same test.
Good Luck!

Old 11-23-2004, 11:54 AM

Cel? If you mean the battery then it's not...it's a brand new battery. If you mean something else...then what???

Old 11-23-2004, 12:06 PM

What madmat is saying that if you take the car to Auto Zone, they will run an engine check for free. Well, they will do an obdII check for your check engine light.