Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

Defective idle control servo... Improvise!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:42 AM
Default Defective idle control servo... Improvise!

Hello everyone. I own a 1994 Lancer GLi (4G15 engine) with 87,000km. on it. After purchasing the car I noticed that the engine wouldn't idle up when the airconditioning was turned on. I took it to my usual mechanic, but they couldn't find the problem. So we went to another mechanic who specializes in fuel injected/electronically controlled engines. He immediately found that the idle control servo was defective. He also said that he already encountered others with the similar problem (apparently this is inherent in older Lancer models), and upon replacement of the servo, the problem usually comes back. So we came up with a "solution". We just left the servo as is, and replaced it with a mechanical system. First they installed an actuator--pretty common device, and attached the terminals to the aircon compressor, so it would activate when the aircon is turned on. Then tapped an air hose (not sure which one) to supply airflow to the actuator. Then attached a sort of vacuum hook to the throttle body. When the actuator is activated by the aircon, it also activates the vacuum hook and pulls the idle "thingy" (the one where the accelerator cable is attached to), and brings the rpm up to 1,000. Problem solved.

I just would like to know if anyone else has tried this, and if there would be any ill-effects to this procedure? The car runs fine, and engine idle is sufficient when the airconditioning is turned on. I can see that it's a pretty simple fix, and I only spent about $20 (parts and labor).

Hope to hear your opinions on this. Pictures below:

[IMG]local://upfiles/12443/7165C31FBF7B4034A955686741082842.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12443/B679E51BC8224963B2A9317A7DD22528.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-31-2009, 02:19 AM

Thanks for this very useful information. Keep it up.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:25 AM

hello sir, i have the same problem too with my 1995 Lancer GLi (4G15 engine). Every time when i'm in low gear and the AC is turned on, my engine just dies! imagine experiencing this when you're stuck in a traffic light intersection only to have your car die on you when the green light is already go for your lane. Oh the humiliation i get! And this wouldn't be a problem if the AC is off, but it's impossible for me not to use the AC coz i live in the philippines where its extremely hot & humid....

Please, i beg of you... can you please help me out on the details on how you got your problem fixed? I would really appreciate it very much. Thank you!!!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:16 AM

Sir,
I suggest replace old servo with new servo one

Old 02-09-2011, 11:13 PM

i have my old lancer 94 servo problem fixed...

servo-bypass with an idle-up from toyota

Old 04-30-2011, 12:38 AM

What you did to you car was you bypassed the servo and it is a practical solution to the idling problem of a car caused about by the defective servo unit.

I bypassed servo of my car (Lancer GLI 95) and for one year from then on I have not experience any problem on this.

in fact I am offering SERVO BYPASS Service for only 2500 PHpeso inclussive of materials and labor cost.

Contact number: 09179583351

Old 07-11-2013, 07:12 AM

i also bypassed my defective servo about 3 days ago on my mitsubishi lancer 1995 model and i paid it 2200 pesos. im still observing its operation.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:21 AM

I also hope that Mitsubishi Phil.will come out a detailed discussion on this matter on how to effectively solve this perrenial problem of defective idle control servo of 1995 model cuz we cannot afford to buy a new car or a new model.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:37 AM
Unhappy Mitsubishi Lancer

Hey I have a 98 Mitsubishi Lancer 2D Coupe this would not be fuel injected would it I don't know .. But am having problems every now and again with my engine revving really really high .. it happened today turned the ignition on and off till it was okay but this is very annoying I am pretty sure it is the Idle Control Motor that controls how much air goes in and out of it.. am I right and is this the reason my car does this just never know when it will happen again.

Need some advice thanks
Rae

Last edited by Rae Dowd; 09-12-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Danilo Alviola
i also bypassed my defective servo about 3 days ago on my mitsubishi lancer 1995 model and i paid it 2200 pesos. im still observing its operation.
Sir Danilo, hows your idle up problem, i also have the same issue, nakaka ilang balik n ako sa mekaniko, ganun pa din ung problem. as far as i know, parang maf sensor daw prob nung sa akin from the prrevious owner,

Quick Reply: Defective idle control servo... Improvise!